Compressor ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SrScubalot

Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing a Coltri gas powered dive compressor. This compressor utilizes manual condensate drains that reguire blowdown every 5 to 10 minutes. My question is, what exactly does this procedure invlolve? Do you have to stop the filling process? How much of a hassle is this process? Thanks, Mike Howard

If you plan of having storage banks of air it is essential. I couldn't imagine having a compressor without them but I have a large storage bank and sometimes let me compressor run for hours to fill it back up. If you are only going to be filling your own tanks I don't think it will be a big problem.

Brent

With the compressor running and the tank hooked up, you just crack open one after another each of 2 or 3 drain valves, leaving each one open for a second or two, until no more water is seen in the airstream. And it needs doing more like every 15 minutes, according to most compressor manufacturers.

Irritating by hardly onerous, especially since you shouldn't be filling tanks unattended with a small compressor anyhow . Re someone else's comments about banks, the Coltri (I'm assuming you are looking at an MCH-6) is a small, hot-running intermittant-duty compressor, and shouldn't be used to fill large storage tanks.

you might want to check out the Bauer Junior and the Alkin before you settle on the Coltri. The small Coltri has a very small filter cartridge, which really runs up your cost-per-tank. Also be sure the one you get is fitted with a backpressure valve, or plan on adding on yourself - not all of them are.

SrScubalot:
I'm considering purchasing a Coltri gas powered dive compressor. This compressor utilizes manual condensate drains that reguire blowdown every 5 to 10 minutes. My question is, what exactly does this procedure invlolve? Do you have to stop the filling process? How much of a hassle is this process? Thanks, Mike Howard

When its colder out (40-50F) you can plan on cracking drains on a ~20-25 min interval. When its hot (70+F), its shorter. 15 mins is typical.

If you are going to spend a couple of thousand on a compressor, I'd go just a tad high for a slower turning, cooler running model. With a repackable cartridge. Prepacked cartridges are very expensive and they're silly when you can repack with bulk media for a couple of dollars and 15 minutes of time.

Thanks for the informative responses guys. Because of your recommendations I am now looking into the Alkin W31. It's about another $500 but probably worth the extra expense.

Back
Top Bottom