Why not to buy "bootleg" gear......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dhampton82

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I purchased an adjustable regulator the other day on ebay for a pony bottle rig that I want to set-up for solo dives in the springs.

Anyways the reg can be seen here, as you can see it is a very low quality regulator but it was a cheap price and I do not do much solo-ing so I didn't know if I wanted to spend $300 on a good one yet, when I am still diving a jacket BC :shakehead .

Ok, back to the story, I went to the pool in my apartment complex to give 'er a little test drive. Max depth 6'. Hooked it up to my tank. And opened the valve. Checked my gauges, 3200psi. Good fill. Then a second later I heard a *PSSSSSSSS* coming out of the first stage. And it was loosing pressure fast. Of course I was already set up and ready to go, So I just went home and got my normal regs and went for a dip in the nice warm (77 degree) pool.

Moral of the story, I will definitely think twice or even three times before ever buying anything bootleg, SCUBA related or not. I am glad that it did die on land and not in the water.

I cant help but think, what if it didn't die right then, and decided to die 40' down in a cavern (once I get to that point) when I needed it???

**DISCLAIMER**

I only "solo" in OW and not in the cavern of springs at a max. depth of maybe 25'. There is alot of snorkelers around and a few divers in the area. By solo, I am implying that I do not have a designated "buddy" right there with me. And please dont turn this into a thread lecturing me about solo diving :D

Also I DO NOT mean this as an attack on the seller!!! I have emailed him about 10 minutes before writing this and I'm sure that he will do what he can to correct this mistake. And I do know that equipment failures can happen, whether it is some cheap Chinese knock-off or APEX or SP.

Is it actually a Delta 2? If so, it is a high quality reg, it's just slightly out of date. Secondly, if you decided to go dive a piece of life support equipment that you bought used on ebay, without getting it serviced by a regulator technician, then as far as I'm concerned you get what you deserve, because that's just dumb. No fault to the seller for you not having it checked out first. Caveat emptor...let the buyer beware.

even if it costs you $50 to get it rebuilt you are only out $110. Not too bad. At least you found out it needed work at the surface!

Jimmer:
Is it actually a Delta 2? If so, it is a high quality reg, it's just slightly out of date. Secondly, if you decided to go dive a piece of life support equipment that you bought used on ebay, without getting it serviced by a regulator technician, then as far as I'm concerned you get what you deserve, because that's just dumb. No fault to the seller for you not having it checked out first. Caveat emptor...let the buyer beware.

It is new equipment, and there is no Oceanic or any other markings on the reg, I am pretty sure that it is just a no name knock-off.

It is leaking out of where the yoke is meeting the actual first stage part. so im sure it is something internal

The first stage looks identical to my oceanic omega from a few years back. The second sure looks like a Delta 2 but cant be sure. I'd take it to a shop, preferably an Oceanic dealer if there is one nearby and have it serviced. If it is a Delta 2 then you got a good deal.

They did a hell of a job on the first stage, I couldn't tell it apart from my Omega first stage if I had them side by side...then again that Oceanic balanced piston first was also used by Tusa, and Scubapro, so probably not hard to get one if you were building knock off regs.

dhampton82:
...And I do know that equipment failures can happen, whether it is some cheap Chinese knock-off or APEX or SP.

wooo now, hold up. Scuba Pro does not have failures.. lets set that straight, right off the bat:no. Second alot of people solo dive.. nothing to be ashamed of.

We've seen several SP failures over the past few years so I hope your kidding. :wink: Anything can fail.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom