compass bubble

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMaven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I don't feel like I can get a straight answer anywhere, so thought I'd come to the manufacturers.

I have an Aeris AI with a compass attachment. My compass has had a bubble in it since the day I got it. In my equipment specialty course I just took, the instructor told us that bubbles are really bad and the compass should be replaced. Other folks have said a bubble is no big deal.

What's the truth? Should my compass be replaced or not?

A small bubble is no big deal. Keep an eye on it though, if it grows that means there's a leak in the case of your compass somewhere and you'll need to replace it. Also, I'd avoid leaving/storing your compass is places where it can get very hot if you can help it.

If the bubble is so big that it obscures your view of the compass card then perhaps replacement is in order.

Brian

DiveMaven:
I don't feel like I can get a straight answer anywhere, so thought I'd come to the manufacturers.

I have an Aeris AI with a compass attachment. My compass has had a bubble in it since the day I got it. In my equipment specialty course I just took, the instructor told us that bubbles are really bad and the compass should be replaced. Other folks have said a bubble is no big deal.

What's the truth? Should my compass be replaced or not?

If you bought it new you should have returned it immediately.

The only problem with a bubble is if it is large enough at depth to inhibit the needle from turning freely. It will also reduce your tilt tolerance.

If your compass doesn't have a bubble, how will you know which way is up?

As ReefHound notes above, the potential problem is that the bubble causes the rotating compass card to tilt enough to case the card to stick.

I've had two compasses where the bubble grew to be large enough to cause problems. With the first one it took a while for me to catch on to what was going on.

The test is pretty simple. Turn the compass sideways so that the bubble goes to the side of the compass card. Then rapidly flip the compass 90 degrees so it is upside down so the card is facing down, with the bubble above it. Then rapidly flip the the compass 180 degrees, so it is back to the normal way you use it. If you did it right, then the bubble is no longer visible because it is completely beneath the card.

Now see whether the card is tilted and how easy it is to get the card stuck.

--------------

If you can get it replaced, do so since my experience is that the bubble will continue to grow with future dives.

Charlie Allen

Back
Top Bottom