Seasigns Course in December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajcf

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Back by popular demand .... SeaSigns Course

When: December 20th - 6P to 10Pish
Where: Scuba Specialties 4139 W. Bell Road, Phoenix

Learn to communicate via sign language underwater!!!

Have you ever needed to communicate with your dive buddy under water?
Waiting until your surface interval just to communicate can be frustrating. Whether you are having a problem or just want to point out something cool, keeping good communication with your buddy can make the difference between an "okay" dive and a "great" fun and safe dive.

Communication alternatives have limitations.
There are many forms of underwater communication on the market today, such as specialized gear and slates. While having gear is helpful and effective, sign language is quick and efficient. Not too mention fun. However, even the hand signals commonly taught lack an adequate vocabulary to truly communicate effectively. Hand signals also can vary widely between agencies which can create confusion between two divers trained by different agencies.

SeaSigns is simple, inexpensive, and of broad scope.
SeaSigns offers a simple and inexpensive solution. Based on American Sign Language we have created a special vocabulary for scuba divers that is easy to learn and easy to use. Our vocabulary is much broader in scope than other hand signal methods.

For More Information, Please Private Message Me.
Learn to teach SeaSigns ... Instructor Courses Available Upon Request.

Still got a couple of seats if anyone is interested.

This was an awesome course! Every diver should take this. I think some of it should be tought during Open Water Diver. One of the best classes I have ever had. You can learn to say almost anything you want to your dive buddy underwater.

Not to hijack jcf's thread, but wouldn't a course such as this require you buddies/team members to also have taken the class in order for it to work? Sounds like a interesting class but based on my previous assumption not sure I'd be able to use it; I'm a buddy ***** :D I also have short fingers and use thick gloves; also another assumption that's a deterrant.

jcf if my assumptions are wrong please enlighten me. I see it as a great class if you have a regular buddy or team.

-Garrett

shark.byte.usa:
Not to hijack jcf's thread, but wouldn't a course such as this require you buddies/team members to also have taken the class in order for it to work? Sounds like a interesting class but based on my previous assumption not sure I'd be able to use it; I'm a buddy ***** :D I also have short fingers and use thick gloves; also another assumption that's a deterrant.

jcf if my assumptions are wrong please enlighten me. I see it as a great class if you have a regular buddy or team.

-Garrett

Short fingers; not an issue.
Gloves; Are an issue. We talk about that a lot in class.
Photographers and one handed divers are an issue and we talk about that a lot as well.

As for single divers: It is always better to have a buddy that knows the ASL compliant SeaSigns. However, you can teach your buddy some of the major signs while dive planning if it is someone on the fly. Further, once you know and do the sign, it makes sense. So, people usually figure it out -- contextually speaking.

I think it is a great class. In comparison to other specialties it is fairly inexpensive. I hope we'll see you the next time we do it.

Have a nice holiday, Garrett.

Thanks Ryan for the kind post. It was a pleasure to have you and Stephanie in class. Welcome to ScubaBoard.

Back
Top Bottom