zeagle tech or ranger ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jacek

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi, what are the differences between the tech and the ranger? is it worth spending the extra few bucks for the tech? I'm a recreational diver at this point.. the northeast mostly.. with a distant possibility of becoming a tech diver... thanks

Ok I'll take it back :).. looking for a recreational BC..

The Tech offers nothing you will need for ANY diving that the Ranger hasnt got.

If anything, the tech is LESS suited to diving than the ranger.

There is another even more suited arrangement as well, its worth researching.

Dave

Well for starters....

The Tech only comes in black, replaces the velcro'd cummerbund and single strap with 2 straps, has a couple more D-rings, and a 65 lbs vs a 44 ils bladder on the Ranger. If you want colour on the wing you can get an assortment with the Ranger. Also the Ranger comes in a Limited model with a few extras included - weight pouches, lumbar pad, extra D-rings, rear wt pockets, zipper rear attachment system. Also new Rangers have a pouch that can be deployed from the cummerbund vs the roll down pocket used previously. All models have 2 zippered side pockets.

Personal notes... the Ranger has been noted to be a bit buoyant requiring a touch more weight than some other BCD's, the wing can hold water as you are getting out of the drink... will drain in due time, ruggedly constructed, holds my 95 PST just fine, love the flag (mine came from the Canadian distributor and has the Maple Leaf vs the Stars and Strpes), consider the crotch strap as mine rides high on the surface, the weight pockets are not included : (

I'm not.. this is what a lot of LDS's have recommended to me. I've tried the ranger once and I liked it..

I don't do technical diving(yet), but I do dive a BP&Wing. I have tried the Ranger and found it was...ok. But, when I took the plunge and bought a BP&Wing setup I found there was a big difference. I fit so much better and was way more comfortable in the water. Donning & doffing the rig is so much easier. Once the rig is setup right all you have to do is put it on and go, you don't have to worry about quick releases, velcroed cumberbuns or any of that stuff coming undone or loose in the water. There is nothing "technical" about my rig. But, there is great "simplicity" in it's well thought out design so I if I wanted I can do all types of diving with it.

jacek once bubbled...
I'm not.. this is what a lot of LDS's have recommended to me. I've tried the ranger once and I liked it..
Many of us have made the Ranger->ebay->backplate/wing maneuver... some at significant loss of $$.

Perhaps with a little more information we could help you ascertain whether this maneuver is likely in your case.

Number and types of dives.
Equipment owned.
Location.

Number and types of dives:
16 logged dives, a couple of non penetration wreck dives (well I saw the wreck but I wasn't on it), mostly salt water, got a few fresh water dives too in PA.. a few nitrox dives.. thinking of taking a dry suit class so I can dive locally all year long, well until I get sick of it or something :)

Equipment owned.
the basics, one apex atx200 reg (probably an overkill for me), a 3mm suit (I rent a 7mm suit but thinking of getting my own too, maybe next year) that's about it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom