Pt. Lobos >> First time 12/9

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefugee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello All,

My wife and I will be doing our first Pt. Lobos dive on Dec 9th. So far, I have only dove breakwater, a boat dive on the Cypress Charter, and Cozumel. Is there anything special I should know about Pt. Lobos? Should I bring a dive light? How is entrance to the water?

Thanks
Minh

Entrance is easy... All divers must enter and exit at the boat ramp... Be careful it can get slick at times.... Giant stride at end of boat ramp and kick out.

Bring a dive light... lot's of critters to see.

Bring your C Card You won't be able to dive without it. And make sure you have reserations if you divingthis weekend... most week days reservations aren't a problem but on weekend you won't get in without one.

Walk up to the top of the bluff and check out the conditions before gearing up. There's several options Cannary Pt Wall and Middle reef are amongst the most popular. Pt Lobos Underwater Map

I usually hit up Albertsons or Safeway and bring a picnic lunch with me and eat during the SI. You'll have a great time there enjoy.

The entrance/exit is easy. Just watch your step on the ramp, sometimes it's slippery with algae. From the ramp, make a left and start surface swimming. Anything going right will be shallow and murky with low vis. Right now there's not much kelp to outline the sand channel, so study the little map at the kiosk. The nicer dives are at the end of "middle reef," and along the wall near Cannery Point. For the really nice spots, you'll need a boat or kayak.

Click on the link for more info.

http://pt-lobos.parks.state.ca.us/scuba/divespots.html

You should bring a light on EVERY dive in Monterey. It will add to your experience.

The most common mistake at Pt. Lobos is to not surface swim far enough. Go up on
top of the bluff and eyeball things, but also check it out on Google Earth. The kelp
starts in about 20' and gradually slopes out to 65' at the outside edge. The interesting
stuff starts in about 40', so you want to surface swim through at least half the kelp.
Back in my beach diving days, I'd swim all the way out to the outside edge. Use
your compass coming back, and if you find your self in a very surgy 20', you are up
under the bluff, get out.

BTW, in Google Earth, that white dot off the outside of the kelp is my Boston Whaler.

If you see surf grass (looks like real grass... long strands) you are headed into the bluff.... Don't ask how I know :D

Thanks for the info. Just another quick question - Is there restroom (and/or shower) facility at Pt. Lobos?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom