Saddest Accident I Have Heard in a Long Time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
The sailing accident yesterday?

http://starbulletin.com/2006/12/02/news/story02.html

A twelve year old boy was pinned and bled to death when the mast of the Waikiki sail charter cat's mast snapped and fell. A captain told me yesterday they brought in the jaws of life. I think they used some "lift bags" eventually... Very tragic.

Two women also medevaced, one in critical. One of those accidents that you cannot get out of your mind....must have been pure hell for family members on the boat.

prayers sent for all.

I winder why an Al mast would snap...is this a rare occurance?

This is another situation where the Fire Department responds very quickly, here on the south shore, they have jet skis, helicopters, etc.

The boat was right off Diamond Head. We were having strong gusts around that time. I remember observing as I rode my bike that there would be no head wind and then a gust would almost blow me off the bike lane.

Man that is very tragic accident. Must have been something awful to have to bear witness to considering the boy could not be freed. My thoughts go out to all of the people on board and to family.

The winds were very heavy right around there. I live in kaimuki and the wind was blowing our hanging plants off the second story lanai. Must have been real strong off the coast.

Truly sad. It is my understanding that aluminium masts can develop stress cracks and fracture.

Aluminum masts generally tend to fold and collapse ... it is rare that they will snap absent some other failure in the rigging. I snapped a wooden mast on a dinghhy when I was a kid, but simply put it right back up. A few years ago I became concerned on the aluminum mast on my boat so I decided to remove it for inspection. I removed the stays and shrouds and used the hoist to lift it out of the boat. Well, at least, that was the plan. Part was hoisted cleanly off the boat. Part remained. I'm glad it happened this way. No chance of anyone being hurt.

Interestingly, there is no telling how long it had been in this condition, but the rigging kept it upright.

I was wondering if you would have anything to say about this. Are most masts Aluminum? I know I have had a few people say that my Al Vitus road bike can fail catastrophically....

Most are, some high speed racers have carbon fiber, the old wood of course but most are Aluminum. From what I have seen they usualy snap and end up over the side, falling forward not hitting anyone. But this was a cat with tourestas on board up front.
Very sad. Rember the 3 Y/O that was killed when the boat turned to avoid a whale strike?...The sea makes no special exceptions.

Fatigue stress failure more than likely. Which cause cracks to form and propagate. Samething happens to aircraft wings which why they get retired (or end up in third world countries - flying divers to remote islands :D)

ughhhh...nice thought, thanks.

so how do they check planes for these cracks? Or is it number of years/ hours?

Think I need to look into my old mast too.

There is a process called magna-fluxing, where a solution containing magnetic iron particles is painted on the suspect area. The particles congregate in any cracks in larger numbers than on the smooth surface. Then you pass a magnetic wand over the area and the cracks give a stronger reading than the surface. This has been in use in aircraft since the 1940's. There are many more ways now, but this is still very portable and does not require dissassembly of most parts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom