Oahu Freediving and spearing in May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FreediverGa

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm planning a trip to Oahu in May and wanted to get info on some dive sights I've planned out hitting. I'm going to be staying at the miltary housing at Bellows air station. Are there any reefs to dive off Bellows beach that you can reach from shore. I also wanted to dive and spear Halona blow hole. Are there alot fish at Halona and what are the depths. I also want to dive Makapu'u beach park which is probly my primary choice I want to dive. What's the diving like here and are there alot fish at Makapu'u. What are reef structures like at Makapu'u and does anyone have any good pics? what kind of depths can plan on finding aswell?

what about the other locations I listed and also if you look at sat photos there is large area of reefs toward the far most southern part of the air station

what's the water depth?

FreediverGa:
what's the water depth?
Mostly 10-20 feet and the vis sucked (10-15 feet).

I would like to see sat photos of the area. What are you using?

You might be able to find some good fishing towards blow hole, provided the surfs not too rough. I have seen alot of surfing, but not alot of diving at Makapu'u beach park. But I have never been in at those areas and I don't spear so I'm not really much help.

The top places for spearing the I have found are.
1) Rainbow Reef / Magic Island, stay to the West Side of Magic, although I recommend following the Western Wall of Rainbow Reef ( Ala Moana beach Park), go early in the morning or you will freak out the tourist that are hanging out on the beach by carring a speargun. I've caught 4 goatfish here.
2) Firehouse, this is North Shore, near Sharks Cove, but more productive, for Rainbow Parrot/Octopus
3) Hale'Iwa Trench. sometimes good, other times nothing, unless you like eel.
4) Off Diamond Head (best site, Although I would not recommend it). This is an very expirienced dive due to the amount off boat traffic in the area, I would only attempt this with a guide who knows the area, and then only with Tanks, preferably twins.

Back
Top Bottom