Scubapro X-Tek

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cstreu1026

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anyone have any details on the scubapro X-Tek BCD. I read in another post that it is the same as the dive rite transpac. IS this true? If so, is a quality piece of equipment or should I pass on it and wait for a good deal on a Transpac II.

I have one. I like it. I have used it for singles and small doubles (up to 98s) Larger doubles (112's) don't sit well with it. Crotch strap is needed. It's your own call on number of D-rings (too much or too few), pockets, etc.

I will keep it for singles but will use my new bp/wings for doubles.

(I've heard similar things about the transpac - BTW)

My thought - they are both good wings with harness but are "sloppy" with doubles. Have you thought about a backplate and wings? (Gotta ask! :) )

...which is another way of saying that I don't know this first hand:

Dive Rite came out with the Transpac back in the 90's and it enjoyed substantial success. As is the case with many manufacturers, Dive Rite was actually badging a BCD manufactured by another company, which actually owned the rights to the BCD.

In steps ScubaPro, which purchases the company that owns the rights and manufactures the Transpac. Voila, the X-Tek is born. Dive Rite scrambles and comes up with a new/improved version, which they call the Transpac 2, along with a new manufacturer to actually produce the things.

I don't know exactly how true the above story is, but anyone who has ever looked at the old Transpacs will see that they are virtually identical to the old X-Teks. Both the X-Tek and the Transpac are out of production and have been for some time. The newer versions, called the RecTek and the Transpac 2 represent varying degrees of changes over their predecessors and they won't be mistaken for each other upon close inspection.

I own one of the old X-Teks and like it, with reservations. It's comfortable, works well with singles and is okay with light doubles. It makes a pretty good piece of travel gear for warm water reef diving, but falls short for anything remotely approaching technical diving. I also had problems with the velcro on the tank bands failing after about 75 dives. Since the bands aren't changeable (one of the improvements SP took care of with the RecTek) it was a PITA to deal with. SP came through for me and fixed it even though it was out of warranty, but it took time to do and was a hassle.

I use a backplate and wing for most of my diving, which would be my recommendation. If you like the softpack and the semi-technical features of the X-Tek, you're options seem to be limited to the RecTek, the Transpac 2 and the Zeagle Ranger. All three are decent devices made by decent companies.

Steven

I think I'm really qualified to answer this question since I dove an X-Tek BC for 2 years. Actually, 4 of my friends bought one too.

It is very similiar to the Dive Rite.

When I first got the BC, I thought it was ok. Only later did I see all the problems it had. First off, it's really big and bulky. You have a lot of stuff around your torso and chest. If you decided to add integrated weights, the whole rig just gets bigger and less streamlined. The original weight pockets ScubaPro made were held in place with velcro...very bad idea. I had one slip out at around 70 feet and fall into a wreck, leaving me with half the weight I needed. Had that happened to an OWI diver, he probably would have panicked and shot to the surface. The BC fits ok, but will never fit properly since it was designed to fit most everyone. The X-Tek has way to many D-rings. On the back of the harness assemly, there are literally 10 - 12 tiny D-rings around the perimiter. I have no idea what these could ever be used for. I think it has 6 - 8 large D-rings which I never used. The D-ring for the SPG is almost impossible to reach without fumbling. It also has plastic quick release buckles that are just a point of failure. The 55 lbs bladder that it comes with is not too bad...Seems very durable.

I would not recommend this BC at all. However, if you're really set on getting one, please buy mine.

ScubaPro makes great regs, but horrible BCs.

I would seriously look into getting a BP and Harness. Much better BC and has none of the faults of the X-Tek. I switched to BP and Harness and will not go back to any other style of BC.

Buy a BP and Harness and save yourself some time and money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom