Do you dive NEGATIVE without ditchable weight? As in "0" ditchable weight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueDolphin

Reaction score
Curious how many dive VERY negative, SLIGHTLY negative, and with Little to no ditchable weight.

Your comments and thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

I don't get what you're asking.. every person and gear config has a certain amount proper weight required. Whether it's ditchable or not makes no difference on how much weight you need.

I weight so that I'm neutral somewhere between the surface and 15 feet with 500 psi in my tank. Why does it matter if this weight is ditchable when discussing how negative I am?

I think he's quizing those of us that dive with twin steel tanks, bp, stages....

With twin 15l, BP I am probably slightly negative with no additional weight then add a stage and then sure am negative. I guess I should move to a neoprene dry suit for that added buancy - probably will when I get back to the UK but it will be crushed, then again with all the thinsulate etc will also be more buoyant!

i've been a recreational diver since 1978 diving exclusively in the tropics. 5' 10 1/2" height, 210 lb and negative with the ff kit:

SS BP w STA and 16kg travel wing
NO weights
Al 80
.5mm skin (i become slightly positive near the surface with a 3mm hood on)

when i get up to 3mm wetsuit- even a shorty i thread 2 kg of semi-ditchable weight (pockets with small fastex clips). i would not want to lose these slabs accidentally so not wuick releases.

it's a tropical thing.

K

was in a class a couple of weeks ago - pretty long session. by the end of the dive i figured i was still slightly negative.

ended the dive with ~ 10bars (150psi ?) slightly negative using AL80 (H-valve & 2 first stages), 3mm wetsuit, Halcyon pioneer 36 with the SS BP (6lbs) and no add'l weights (did have the requisite SMB, 1 light and a spool which meant the weight of 3 bolt/double enders).

when i did the safety stop @ 15'/4.5m i probably had 20bars (300psi) or less in the tank.

so now i'm thinkin' - should i drop another pound or two by switching to aluminum BP, etc. but then i figured ... i have a lot more to learn so won't bother horsing around with my gear just yet :eek:ut:

hope this helps

Yeah, on vacation recently I was diving in 83F sw with a 3mil shortie, ss bp/wing and steel tank. No need for any ditchable weight. It was really nice not to have a weight belt on!

I'm slightly negative in all of the diving that I do-both singles and doubles. I carry no ditchable weight (well, my cannister light if you want to count that), but I can easily swim up any rig that I use. And be neutral at ALL deco/safety stops.

The tanks on my back could be ditchable, but that would cause other problems:eek:

With the "the big pig"on board (halc pro14 can) I have nothing ditchable other than the light itself.
With a steel tank, Im slightly neg, But I can swim it up.
Dave

And most of the time chilly by most person's standards (water isn't usually above 65 in OH). A lot of times at 70 to 80 ft, we see 45 to 55 degrees F. Anyway, long story short I have a 24lb belt (I weigh in at 230) usually an AL80 tank, and a 6.5 mil john & shorty. No i do not have a weight integrated BC to relieve some of the poundage from my belt, but I've gotten used to my 24lb fashion statement...So I guess I have 24 lbs ditchable, and I am able to be neutral anywhere from 120 to 15ft.

-TT

I guess what I am trying to find out.... is how many of you dive with VERY little or NO ditchable weight. As in without a weight belt.

I am trying to see if it would be generally ok for me to dive with no weight belt..... (start my dive at 4-10lbs. negative), with a steel tank.... and end my dive at approx. 2-6lbs negative (with tank at approx 500 lbs.). Is that too negative to dive with no ditchable weight? Can most divers safely swim up 2-6lbs. ("uninjured"-good fit diver)?

Or better to go with an AL tank (make equipment modifications), and have some ditchable weight.

I currently have an AL BP, S/S STA, 7mm suit, Steel HP120 tank,
and I am down to very little ditchable weight. If I go with a S/S BP, I will be negative for certain throughout the dive with "0" ditchable weight (on a weightbelt). I would then consider using an AL 80 tank instead, if need be. But looking to see if diving negative throughout the dive without any weight belt (ditchable weight), is ok, common, or otherwise considered somewhat safe as long as you can SWIM IT UP.

Thanks again for your input.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom