Maui in June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seaangel

Reaction score
I am going to Maui June 22-30. Looking to have atleast 5 dives scheduled. As both my buddy (my brother) and I will still be fairly new divers, we are getting our OW certs now, it almost sounds like the best dives are those for Advanced divers. We have some trips reserved that my brother set up and are of the tourist type, as we will have my sister in law and two young girls with us to snorkel. Our third diver with us wants to take the intro to dive courses, so she will not be in our group. This is a sibling family trip and my brother and I wanted to make the dives so everyone is having to go out with us. I am excited and hope to see alot and take some great pictures. We are staying in Lahaina, at Puamana Resort Condos. Close by dive shops? Any recommendtions for us new divers?

Seaangel,

Lahaina Divers is located in downtown Lahaina, not too far from where you will be staying--they are fine for what you propose. Maui Dive Shop runs a similar operation and they will be fine, too. Most operations will launch from the Kihei docks, a 20-30 min drive from your condo. Occasionally they launch from a closer site due to winds.

The easiest "signature" diving on Maui is the inside of Molokini. You will see a lot of dive boats for both scuba and snorkling there--but it is decent diving for a novice. You will see lots of fish. LOTS OF FISH!

The back wall can be a little more challenging if there is a strong current, but it has more spectacular diving. Normally the back wall is a drift dive and a lot of fun. The dive masters will ask about your experience level and will suggest the back wall to novices only if the current is mild. If it is your first drift dive, you will be lucky! It is wonderful!

Usually, those two dive shops will make a stop at Molokini and then go to another site for the second dive. But they normally ask divers where they would like to go--and they have been known to do the inner and outer walls of Molokini on a single trip.

Lahaina is a very busy and bustling town! If you want to go to more quiet and intimate place for dinner, try the Sea House up near Kahana--it is a 25 min drive from Puamana, but worth it. Be sure to call for reservations, though--EARLY! And ask for a seat close to the "windows" (They have no glass in them!)to get one of the best views on Maui.

Now, I am not one of the world's great shoppers, so I am probably not very helpful in that regard: but, believe me, you will have no trouble finding shops in Lahaina! When it comes to history, that is a different story!

The old missionary section of Lahaina is worth a visit--south end of town. But the "whaling ship" berthed there is not... The whaling museum at Kaanapali IS worth a visit, too. Kaanapali is few minutes north of you by car--and the museum is in the middle of another great shopping area!

If the weather is good, Haleakala is also worth the trip--whether you bike down the mountain or not. The views on a day when there are not clouds and fog are fantastic!

If you get a chance to read James Michener's HAWAII before you go, do so. It is a painless way to absorb Hawaiin history--remember, though, it is a novel and, so, not completely accurate. BUT you will learn all about Lahaina. It was once a the biggest whaling port in the Pacific. And there is lots of adventure, romance and (blush) sex in it.

Joewr

Sea angel,
I lived in Hawaii for sometime, and actually did my OW certification out there several years back, so I have lots of experience as a "newbie" in Hawaii waters...

As for Maui, don't worry, you can still see great fish life and decent coral outside of the infamous backwall. The last time I dove the crater (frontside), back in DEC, we saw a large school of sharks, which is always fun to see.
Lahaina Divers has a good rep, and I can also highly recc.

Ed Robinison's Diving Adventure (yes, there is a web site). They are a smaller, more personal operation, out of Kihei, and I found the extra attention that was available (if I wanted) a PLUS when I was a newer diver. (I even had the capt giving me dive tips from above--tips I still use today!)

Well, have a great time!
Aloha,
sea2sea

Aloha,

I don't know much about packaged dive operations here on Maui, but if you want to email me I'll give you our phone and you can call me & Helen (my wife & partner) and talk diving story and possibly join us for a relaxed type dive or two.

A Hui Hou,

Jonathan
kalepa@maui.net

Hi seangel- just got back from doing my OW cert and dives at Maui. I went with Octopus Reef for my certification. The instructor, Renee, was wonderful, took her time and obviously enjoyed what she was doing. I liked having a female instructor.

Then I went with Ed Robinson for the dives- including the back wall of Molikini (yes, I WAS lucky to do that on my first dive). But the captain didn't like the wind in the front. I saw sharks, a manta ray and many fish, all with the whales singing in the background. We came up, got on the boat, looked at each other and said-

HOW CAN WE WORK IT OUT TO GET BACK HERE AGAIN REAL SOON!!!!!

I would rethink the idea of scuba diving with snorkelers. We were going to do that, but the snorkelers will get overcharged (they take up the space of a higher-paying diver). We sent the snorkelers off on a nice snorkle boat (Paragon) and they had a blast while we dove. Snorkel boats also seem to have more fun stuff, like slides, trampolines and better food. We divers are serious athletes! Also, south Maui around Wailea has great snorkel spots you all can do from the shore, together.

A very helpful book for me was Maui Revealed which you can find by going to their website http://www.wizardpub.com.

Have fun! You will LOVE it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom