What's your SAC rate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shoupart

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Time for some chest thumping!

what's everybody's SAC rate? Let's share and compare!

I'm between .45 to .49, most of the time, but always working on getting it lower.

Wow .45 -.49 ?
Im an air hog at 16 - 22 LPM (16/28.3= .56 cf 22/28.3 = .777cf)
I'd love to have a SAC of .45. Maybe it will get lower with my new fins and the warmer summer water.

Edit: Maybe I should point out this is in 15*C water and a fairly active dive. I usually cover quite a bit of territory.
Maybe I should try it with my camera up in Fiji and see how low it gets.

Yeah, I was feeling proud of it till I saw some sort of the warmer water divers talking about .30 rates. But hey, I figure it's decent for cold water!

Hmm... why do you suppose it's higher in the caves? A little more high-pressure, perhaps?
I think it's funny to see my rate go up on solo dives, especially night ones. Obviously, I'm not as calm and collected as I usually am!

I think my SAC goes up, in the caves, for several reasons... Flow, Task loading (using a video camera), setting jumps, running reels etc...

I have had people tell me that thier SAC drops in the caves.... Who knows.

In tropics it's .30-.35. In cold water doing checkouts with new students it goes up nearly double. But there I'm working, in the tropics I'm cruising.

It was better many years ago but I'm old and fat now.

The only time I measured it (a long long time ago) was off Laguna Beach, CA. Water was maybe 60-65*F. It was 0.3. Of course I almost fell asleep just laying on the sand for 10 mins... so I suppose it wasn't the most truly representative sample :)

On the other hand, it was very Zen~

Tonight's dive was 49 minutes in 50 degree water with ten feet or less of viz. SAC was .35.

TSandM:
Tonight's dive was 49 minutes in 50 degree water with ten feet or less of viz. SAC was .35.

Mine (same dive) was 0.65, I'm twice the size of Lynne, and maybe a tenth the diver she is . . . maybe.

But, this was the first time since I started diving with her in May that my SAC was less than double what hers was.

I'll take that . . .

Back
Top Bottom