Rodale's Review of Weight Belts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drizzt117

Contributor
Reaction score
There is a review of weight belts in the new issue of Scuba Diving. Rodale's gave the worst rating out of all the belts reviewed to Heath's belt that a bunch of us use. Found that interesting.

Thomas

What didn't Rodale's like about it?

Rodales claims that it is too stiff and slippery.They didnt like the continuous one piece velcro stating that it would be hard to access a pocket in the middle.They say its less convenient than individual pocket belts.They also claim his weights are larger than average.The review stated that the all mesh backed models tend to be very slippery against fabric drysuit material.

I also own an all mesh belt from heath.The things i liked about his belt was the simplicity and durability.Its everything i wanted in a weight belt.I dont need a bunch a bells and whistles that are basically more failure points.

Those of you that have dealt with heath know he is one heck of a nice guy.I think rodales definitely gave him a bum review.Could you imagine if rodales did a review of a bp/wing setup.A bc that has no quick disconnects,no padding,only two dumps,and no gadgets.It would be ugly.

Dont let it get you down heath as you make a great belt.Who knows,maybe if you spent some serious money advertising in rodales each month you would have got a higher rating.

Don't believe everything you read....:)

Heath just happened to be out here from Idaho when Rodales hit the rack...

And I really wasn't surprised at all by the review. :D Consider the industry folks.

Anyway... nobody I know that has tried one has complained about them being *slippery*... shoot the things are tenacious when it comes to staying in place. As for the weight pouches they are thinner than the lumps sold in most LDS.

However I would have to agree that the heavy duty brailer mesh that Heath uses is mighty stiff... :D

Since I only use a small amount of weight in the belt it seems just fine to me... but I suppose someone who needed a ton might not find it comfortable.... how about it... anyone want to fess up :wink:

that's what comes to mind... I already knew this, but it has now been re-affirmed. Rodale's reviews are just like a "J.D. Power Award". Worthless, meaninless, handed out according to whichever way the "political" wind is blowing. And I do mean BLOWING.

I love my Heath mesh belt. Pre-bp/wing, I had 34 lbs in it. Worked fine. Even better with the 16lbs that is in it now!

Slipping? Nope. Don't even have to readjust it at depth wearing a 7mm.

I concur with the rest of you. I had mine in the pool today testing out other gear and my new Heath all mesh weight belt. No slipping problems at all and i do think its comfortable.

As for it being too stiff, heck thats one of the main reasons i got it.

Andy

Mine is great...no problems with my wetsuit or drysuit. Then again, I never wear more than about 6# in it, so it might be different if I packed it full. I would gain no benefit from separate pouches since I never adjust my weights after I splash in...although I could see it being hard when working with students to get weighting right.

For all the great things that have been said about our weight belts. When I first set out on this endeavor it was to design a belt and soft weights that fuctioned equal to or better than what was on the market at a lower price. According to Rodale's I guess we falled. Buy hey you can't please everyone and they have a right to their opinion.

I will admit I was a little disheartened when I read the review.

I'm always open to suggestions if any of you have any ideas of how to make our products better.

Back
Top Bottom