U2 / Pearl Jam Show

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shaka Doug

Contributor
Reaction score
Kihei, Maui, Hawaii 96753, middle of the 808!
# of dives
Aloha Ohana,

I was wondering who else will be going to the U2 / Pearl Jam Show this weekend at Aloha Stadium? We have a big crew coming over from Maui for most of the weekend. Many of us get there this afternoon. I won't head back to Maui until Monday. It's been really hard finding a hotel. I've heard about all kinds of other events over there this weekend. I also heard that the traffic will be unbelievable on Saturday afternoon on the way to the show. Does anyone have any tips to make the trip from the hotel to the stadium more "bearable"?

I hope you all get to see this show. It will be epic!!!!!!!!:bang:

How are you guys getting to the stadium - driving yourselves?

I expect that the traffic will be heavy, but hopefully not as heavy as the last couple of UH football games - one was almost sold out and the last was sold out. On those nights, people were sitting in traffic for an average of 1.5 hours to get in several hours before kickoff.

The stadium is allowing people to get in line this afternoon if they have tickets for the floor area, and allowing overnight parking in the lower lot. I had toyed with various ideas as far as my parking strategy, but luckily a friend of mine lives close to the stadium and I can park in her driveway and walk across the pedestrian bridge in. That should save me about an hour trying to exit the concert, too.

wow...you rock stars.

wish I had the energy. I cannot stay up past 10 if my life depended on it.

Maybe you could negotiate a flat fee, if you have a few people or a group with a taxi?

I use Star Taxi for this. "Nick" They only book ahead. The fare is less, I think they are gypsy cabs. get them to give you a flat fee and split it.

So, chepar...the overnight parking...are those people sleeping in their cars?

I last saw U2 during the "Joshua Tree" tour at the L.A. Collusium, what a party.....
still, nothing compares to the Page and Plant concert.......
Like Catherine, I too am getting too old to hang......unless Page and Plant tour again!!!
my brother used to drag me up to Glendale Community College to watch Van Halen play on the lawn for free when I was a kid.......was too young to appreciate it though.

Actually, I think these people will be sleeping in line with lawn chairs and sleeping bags - kind of like how they line up to be the first to see "Star Wars". I guess if you're going to get a ticket for the floor (no seats) then it makes sense (sort of) to make sure you can get as close to the stage as you can.

We've got nosebleed seats somewhere near the top third. I bet everyone on the stage will look like members of a flea circus from up there.

I'm taking my 11 y.o. daughter to the concert - I had to look up a picture of the band to show her - she was sure they were a bunch of white haired geezers. That conversation really made me feel old.

I think arranging for a car service/gypsy cab for a flat rate is a good idea if you can find someone to do it. It would be ideal if they could drop you off close by, and you contact them by cell phone for pick up at the same location afterwards.

on the news they said some people were waiting in line since Thursday. One person they interviewed said "I thought I would come really early and be first in line, but I was wrong and I am #173" . That is some dedication there. No thanks. We were in traffic for the UH/Oregon game (last one), but people didn't realize there were two lines (where we were) so we drove right up. Bet that doesn't happen for the Sheraton Bowl though.

Wow! What a weekend! I just got back to Maui and my friends and I had so much fun. We scored on the transportation...One of my friends that lives on Oahu used to work for the Hard Rock Cafe. They had a sweet deal. 80 bucks got you food all day, two beer tickets, and they had a U2 cover band with a Bono impersonator. He was on Maui last weekend and we had already met him at the Irish Pub, Mulligans on the Blue in Wailea. On top of having a really great afternoon at the H. R. C. they also provided bus coach service to and from the concert and they even gave us beers for the bus ride each way! 14 of my friends from Maui were on one of those busses. We started at 1:30 pm and never got back to our hotel until the marathon was about to begin, around 5:00 am! The concert was spectacular. Pearl Jam rocked for about an hour and then U2 came on stage before 9 and didn't quit until almost midnight. They did two encores, each with like 4 songs. They kept cranking out hit after hit and their stage is like no other in the world. They really do it up. I was down on the field in the GA seating and we had a great view and the sound was awesome. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I feel sorry for anyone who missed the chance to see this show. It was that good!!! They finally finished things up for the night with Billy Joe from Greenday and Eddie Vedder from Pearl Jam all busting out the extended version of Neil Young's Rockin in the Free World! One of my favorite songs of all time. I can't say enough good things about this concert. It was truly amazing. The technical aspect of the light show and stage is just mind boggling too. If they ever come back or tour again, make it a point to see them. You will not be dissappointed.

I am soooo jealous...
Kirsten

Just heard Pearl Jam playing Hawaii 78. Niiiiice! Must thank the internet geeks for bootlegs.

Back
Top Bottom