Monterey Dive Weather Watch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben_ca

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Okey since we have a bunch of new guys here we'll post our thoughts on the weekend weather... It's the next best thing to putting a webcam up in Chuck Tribolet's driveway and seeing if he's staying home this weekend. (Note: If Chuck stays home you might want to also)

For starters on duringthe week I watch Chuck's Monterey Sea Conditions at a Glance

There's a good write up on how to read the swell report here Chuck's Tongue in Cheek Guide to Swell Heights

I like graphics so I look at these first Offshore Wave Height Forcast

Then this Experimental 3 day Swell Model

Now when you see this:
fc_summary.jpg

and this:
fm_mon_xxx.png

It's time a stay home weekend....

Look at this way, you can get your holiday shopping done.

Well, YOU can go shopping. My truck is in for a new clutch and they didn't finish today
like they said. And this morning the alternator on my backup car packed up. I get
to find and install a new alternator tomorrow. Hey, I'm an engineer. A trip to Kragans
IS shopping. ;-)

Hehe, just watching the news is enough to know the diving is going to be less than ideal this weekend. The cool thing is that I've known that since last weekend, thanks to Chuck's site. :)

The Monterey Bay swell model reminds me of my days of living/surfing in Santa Cruz. I bet Mitchell's Cove is going to be going ape**** this weekend . . .

At least until the wind kills it.

I couldn't imagine diving in such conditions. The beaches in Monterey and south must bot off the hook.

Check out the action on the surf forcast animation

Northern Pacific

Nor Cal

Look at all the red spots!!! yikes

Ben, that looks pretty diveable to me. :11:

I was on a cruise ship last year (started in SF, first stop Monterey) and was going to dive Breakwater, but the seas were 20-24 ft. That was the first time I ever saw waves crashing over the stairs at Breakwater. WOW, could not imagine diving in those conditions, but if someone else wants to go, I'll gladly bring my video camera. :eyebrow:

This seems like a legitimate swell, I surfed the Christmas of 95 swell (that killed Mark Foo at Maverick's), the 1998 "Big Wednesday" swell (in LA) and then some others where the buoys were reading 20 feet plus at 20 seconds plus . . . corduroy to the horizon and waves that made your n*ts find a hiding place.

I bet there will be some good stories from this one, but no way I'd want to dive in this. Think about it, you could be at a 20 foot stop with the pressure changes above you being a half an ATA . . .

Everyday I wake up thinking... Gee I wish I was diving in Monterey... Except today, thanks to this thread.

Thanks, Ben.

Tomorrow's dive forcast in my parts: Calm, flat, snow, ice, cold. The biggest swell will come after we jump off the dock.

The breakwater was actually pretty decent. 1-2' waves. 20' vis along the wall.

Saw Carmel at 7am, 10' waves...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom