"Bungeed wings of death" Why ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-BlueHole-

Reaction score
I saw in many posts Dir people calling Oms style wings "bungeed wings of death"
:confused:
Are them really dangerous ? (in the dir viewpoint)

I've done some dives on them since I svitched to bp/harness and I'm still alive...
:)

If you had a small leak they would force the air out quickly
possibly before you even knew you had a leak .not to mention the air trapping that influences trim and bouyancy.

The dreaded BWOD debate...anyway, I'll play... I just don't see the point...what useful function do the bungees play?

If you do a search on "bungied wings of death' you will find an extensive discussion about them.

My opinions, most of the arguements are anecdotal at best and offer up no evidence. You would think if they were truely dangerous OMS would stop making them.

I have never had any trouble with air trapping. I can achieve near perfect trim with the movement of weight to different locations. I will never claim to be in perfect trim.

Keep diving your rig. Decide for yourself if you like it or not.

TwoBit

joens once bubbled...
If you had a small leak they would force the air out quickly
possibly before you even knew you had a leak .not to mention the air trapping that influences trim and bouyancy.

If you are underwater and have a leak in the bc, the air exit quickly also if u don't have bungies on the bc...
and i find that the bungies help to distribute better the air in the bc when little air is in it, as when you use a drysuit.
Probably is just a matter of personal taste...
I just find exagerating to call them ç%ç of death... don't think they kill a lot of people :wink:

In fact, 9 out of 10 morticians recommend them...

I have never dived with the BWD. But last weekend since my ACB weight system is still on back order, I was forced to buy a pair of OMS weight pockets, so I have dived with the OMS “pockets of pestilence,” fortunately I survived the experience.:D

I was concerned that there may be some type of reaction between the Halcyon BP&W and OMS weight pockets akin to two dissimilar metals but so far I have seen no evidence of such.
:D

I was concerned that there may be some type of reaction between the Halcyon BP&W and OMS weight pockets akin to two dissimilar metals but so far I have seen no evidence of such.
Divernva had a Dive Rite pocket, an OMS 55# wing, and a Halcyon BP... His "pockets of pestilence" tried to attack his "bladder of butchery" and nearly cost him his life.

The way I heard it from someone that was there when the phrase was coined - someone was pulled out dead and GI was heard to say something about bungee wings of death. Aparently this person had died of a medical condition and not a dive equipment failure......

There that should send the cat in!

My wings have bungee - but not the wrap around style of OMS, more of a lace up thing. More than happy with them. I'm not worried about air escaping on a dive as I almost exclusively dive with them in a dry suit and use that for buoyancy - but that's another debate! In fact I am in the pool this week and it will be the first time without a dry suit!

As for them not being streamlined and being an entanglement hazard (other arguments used against them) - I'm afraid I don't buy into either of those.

Jonathan

I have never dove with OMS bunngy wings, but I did hear that they can be difficult to oraliy inflate incase of an emergency.
This is just something I herd about them. For people who own them are they hard to oraliy inflate? Just curious.

Tekkie.

:stupid:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom