Tuning Trim in the Pool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeffrey-c

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've gotten all new gear, switching to a BP/W setup, and I'm planning on spending some pool time getting used to it and tuning up my trim. But I've started thinking about centers of buoyancy and mass and the differences between fresh and salt water. What have others discovered about how well their setup transfers from the pool to ocean? If I get tweaked just right in the pool, will I find it pretty close in salt water?

other then weighting (bouyancy), I didn't see/feel any notable differences between the two when it comes to setup or trim. I'm pretty negatively bouyant in the pool, so all I did was add 2lbs to the top camband on my BP/W and I was good to go.

jeffrey-c:
I've gotten all new gear, switching to a BP/W setup, and I'm planning on spending some pool time getting used to it and tuning up my trim. But I've started thinking about centers of buoyancy and mass and the differences between fresh and salt water. What have others discovered about how well their setup transfers from the pool to ocean? If I get tweaked just right in the pool, will I find it pretty close in salt water?

There are not too many differences other than adjusting for weight. A mistake I see students make is not wearing the full complement of gear that they would use in the ocean in the pool while experimenting. Gloves, drysuit, hood, tools can make quite a difference in live water situations with new gear. Since I work with techies I do pool, then quarry (somewhat confined water) and then open water situations whenever possible.

X

Back
Top Bottom