Dive Lake Michigan!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeffster

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a relatively new diver with just less than 50 dives. I live at the South end of Lake Michigan and look out at this beautiful lake everyday just itching to explore. I am looking for a dive buddy who knows the lake and is at least certified for AOW with Nitrox (that's where I am). I am interested wrecks and anything else that is out there. I have a couple jet-skis and am interested in diving off them too. If this sounds like something you like to do, dop me a line.

Jeffster

Jeffster,

You might want to try asking on of our resident "Michigan" experts, jenmichigan ...

She usually tries sneaking in and out of here every once in a while (yes, I saw you do a hit and run yesterday Jen, hehe). She may be able to point you to alot of people, btw, do you like ICE Diving?

=-)

I have an AOW but not Nitrox. I would like to dive The big lake. Not off of jet skis though. I will pass on that. Let's do a charter with one of the operators off of Burnam harbor. Let me know. I never say no to diving...unless it's off of jet skis...:)

George Correa:
I never say no to diving...unless it's off of jet skis...:)

But what is the problem of Diving from Jet skiis. I have two myself and trying to figure out everything I need to dive off of them. Before it starts I have already thought of

1. Cant just leave them floating.
2. Cant trust the anchor to hold them while diving.
2. Cant tow them with a tow line like those little diveyaks.
3. Not really feasable to lie an injured Diver down and get them to shore. but neither is a diveyak.
4. May not want to take them to the 10 or so miles off of shore dive sites.
But other than that I think it is doable.
5. It would work if you have ever dove in Higgins lake and use them to get past the shallows known as the death march.
200 or so yards then anchor them off and go from there.

Most of the recreational wrecks have mooring buoys of some sort. Or that could be the project to float one. Hmmm, I can dig up a GPS if you've got the extra ski.

gtxl1200:
But what is the problem of Diving from Jet skiis. I have two myself and trying to figure out everything I need to dive off of them. Before it starts I have already thought of

1. Cant just leave them floating.
2. Cant trust the anchor to hold them while diving.
2. Cant tow them with a tow line like those little diveyaks.
3. Not really feasable to lie an injured Diver down and get them to shore. but neither is a diveyak.
4. May not want to take them to the 10 or so miles off of shore dive sites.
But other than that I think it is doable.
5. It would work if you have ever dove in Higgins lake and use them to get past the shallows known as the death march.
200 or so yards then anchor them off and go from there.

Did you ever think about someone stealing them ? :280:

cd_in_SeaTac:
Most of the recreational wrecks have mooring buoys of some sort. Or that could be the project to float one. Hmmm, I can dig up a GPS if you've got the extra ski.

Most wrecks are a decent cruise from shore, with the exception of a couple. That would entail getting geared up in full kit, and wearing it out to the site. I don't know how you would secure any gear besides wearing it. And it would mean after the long ride out, you would have only one dive, unless yer taking doubles. Then, you'll probably have to float the kit to get back on, and then re-don .....sounds like a nightmare to me, but hey I appreciate the enthusiam.
:wink:

Laser:
Most wrecks are a decent cruise from shore, with the exception of a couple. That would entail getting geared up in full kit, and wearing it out to the site. I don't know how you would secure any gear besides wearing it. And it would mean after the long ride out, you would have only one dive, unless yer taking doubles. Then, you'll probably have to float the kit to get back on, and then re-don .....sounds like a nightmare to me, but hey I appreciate the enthusiam.
Well said ! My sentiments exactly. There is no one more die hard than me when it comes to diving but that is where I say, SEE YA ! A+ for enthusiam buddy.

Laser:

My Jet skiis or better known as Personal watercraft Are large 3 seaters that are very stable. with large swim platforms on the back for strapping down Gear. Also to use to stand on while gearing up once getting to the dive site. I myself could ride 10 or more miles to a dive site as I have ridden farther then that in one stretch. But I ride them all the time just not sure about a person or a dive buddy who has never ridden one before. As far as a GPS I never leave shore without mine. Yes theft is a thought and add that to number 6. as reasons why it isnt quite practical but it is still doable. they need a key to be started which would fit nicely in a bc pocket but it still wouldnt stop someone from coming along and hooking a rope to it and towing it off with another boat. I have insurance but it would make a long swim back from a dive if they were gone. Like I said it may not be practical but it is doable and I started this thread by saying I didnt want to start a Flame war.

Laser:
That would entail getting geared up in full kit, and wearing it out to the site. I don't know how you would secure any gear besides wearing it.

I was thinking of towing one of those 2 man rubber dingy's full of gear. Better attach a ladder to the swim step for me though, it's all my fat@ss can do to remount a sea-doo in swim trunks sometimes. Margarita dependant condition usually, though I dunno about climbing up in doubles no matter how sober.

Back
Top Bottom