Great White attack this weekend-surfer survives w/little injury

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lucky dude. Proves that sharks attack as mistaken identity. If they liked the taste of neoprene and fiberglass, that dude would be a gonner.

Let me get this straight:

Dude is surfing - paddling around, really.

Sharkey comes up, clamps down on his hip (top row) and the board (bottom row) - essentially making an open-face surfer sandwich.

Sharkey then pulls world's luckiest man underwater, while he and board are sandwiched in Sharkey's jaws. Pulls guy and board pretty far under, from what I'm reading in the story.

Moments later, Sharkey realizes this is not the real deal seal meal he was hoping for, and spits out the surferkabob like the giant fish with Jonah, and swims off to parts unknown.

Surferboy, still gripping board (with hip mashed into top deck, and hands still on the nose, leash still on his ankle) goes all Red October and blasts up through the surface, into the air and lands amongst his awestruck buddies.

He is then taken to the hospital, bandaged up and (I'm presuming this part) is likely back out today, because as the story says, "surf's up, brah...."

Do I have this right?

WOW.

That is clean livin', my friends.

---
Ken

yeah the surf is high today, cool story

Years ago my neigbor down the street was attacked by a GW at Stinson. He is a proponent of saving the sharks today. The risk is pretty slim, but every year or so someone seems to have an encounter. Rarely do you ever hear of it being a scuba diver. In fact I think only two have ever been killed in CA by the GW. One was working at the Farrallons harvesting.

As I said in the thread about the surfer-GWS encounter in Oregon recently, this is one reason you'll never see the good Dr. Bill out on a surfboard! The other reason is that I have no balance.

The guy must have been riding an old style long board. A shark like that would crunch right through the thin, lightly glassed "potato chips" popular today, plus it wouldn't have had so much buoyancy.

Back
Top Bottom