o rings whats the best

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squidster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
whats the best o rings to have on hand ,
i may do up to 32% nitrox ,want to be sure to use wright o rings.
are epdm o rings ok or is there something better?
Is there a nice o ring kit

squidster:

Assuming this is for yoke tanks, the best o-rings are the ones you have and are the right size. Arguements over durabilty or O2 compatabilty of differnet material aren't really all that important in this case when you can get and replace them for pennies. (and you do inspect it before putting your reg on it right?)

Most o-rings will do the job on recreational nitrox mixes. Even with technical mixes, there are arguments that special rings aren't needed. Here's a like with some general information about o-rings. There are lots of o-ring kits available. However, you may not need one. If you just want o-rings for you yoke valves, buy a few 014s. If you want something to remove the old o-ring, buy a dental pick. There's your kit.

Dive-aholic:
Most o-rings will do the job on recreational nitrox mixes. Even with technical mixes, there are arguments that special rings aren't needed. Here's a like with some general information about o-rings. There are lots of o-ring kits available. However, you may not need one. If you just want o-rings for you yoke valves, buy a few 014s. If you want something to remove the old o-ring, buy a dental pick. There's your kit.
thanks for your input.
I just purchased a new computer and i put it on my self so thats why i had questions about o rings.
there are things i feel comfortible doing my self but not sure about materials.
thanks fo help

I think you're supposed to use Viton o rings if you plan to use Nitrox, esp. if you get fills at a place that uses PP blending methods and requires O2 clean tanks and such.

CompuDude:
I think you're supposed to use Viton o rings if you plan to use Nitrox, esp. if you get fills at a place that uses PP blending methods and requires O2 clean tanks and such.

This is a different issue. Viton has a higher resistance to O2 but when it does burn, it puts out more noxious fumes. Starndard Buna-N (nitriles) while having a lower tolerance to O2 (they break down faster), if it does burn, it's fumes are less noxious.

The other issue is with the durometer. If you do start subsituting viton for nitrile (or EPDM), you want to ensure you get the same hardness.

In the OP's original question, for standard nitrox, in rec settings, get nitrile and call it good. The only possible location where viton might be better is for an 02 clean tank o-ring. (tank - not yoke)

squidster:

I've been searching for info on this myself and some people who seemed to know a lot more about this than I suggested that peroxide cured EPDM o-rings would probably be the way to go. There may be quality differences in those as well.

My understanding was that they just last longer and give off less impurities, which might be an issues with regs, especially when using high O2 mixes under pressure.

For lights and such it doesn't really matter so the old (cheap) buna ones are fine.

I remember you asked this before, peroxide cured EPDM o-rings.

I am not sure if there is a big difference in a real world application. SP is also using a peroxide cured EPDM? I am not sure of it, but I know they are using EPDM. I am using an EPDM ring for all my regs including the deco regs with the christolube. I don't have any issue at all. BTW, did you find the source for a peroxide cured EPDM o-rings?

hoosier:

I am not sure if there is a big difference in a real world application. SP is also using a peroxide cured EPDM? I am not sure of it, but I know they are using EPDM. I am using an EPDM ring for all my regs including the deco regs with the christolube. I don't have any issue at all. BTW, did you find the source for a peroxide cured EPDM o-rings?
I have heard by a tech that epdm o rings are good for up to 40% nitrx ,I also hear that lube is not nessecry as long as you dont over tighten.
any experts out there?

hoosier:

I found a few sources, but I'm not sure if they are peroxide cured. I might order some soon from Dive-Rite: http://www.diveriteexpress.com/hardware/orings.shtml

I don't lube the static o-rings anymore, especially in regs, because I'm afraid the lubricant may very slightly contaminate the breathing gas especially when in contact with high O2 mixes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom