Mares scuba package

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's their low end regulator and BC. Nothing wrong with it, just not as high performance and design featured as some other systems.

If you're a new diver and on a tight budget, it might be a decent starter package. But You'll want to upgrade later most likely if you stay with diving.

However, in the long run you'll end up spending more by "buying twice" over time instead of getting higher end gear now. But.... This also allows you to grow as a diver and determine what you really want also by upgrading all later. So there are benefits to doing it this way.

$444 isn't a terrible price either for a starter package. Leisure pro has almost the exact same package for a couple bucks less, but you won't get a warranty with it there, so Joe Diver is a better choice most likely.

As for this web site reliable (meaning the store....) I've never heard anything bad about Joe Diver. I think they are authorized dealers for what they sell. The only thing that bothers me about them is that they won't publish a phone number and don't believe in talking to customers on the phone.

If you have a problem with the gear, it means more difficutly in getting customer service (in my opinion). Just strange they don't want to answer a customers call.

From their website: http://www.joediveramerica.com/q_a.html
Do you have an 800 number?

Sorry, but Joe insists on maintaining "the best value for the dollar" philosophy. "An E-commerce site should be just that - E-commerce, not telephone or phone sales", says Joe. "There are sites that employ teams for phone support that incur telephone and staffing costs and who do you think pays for those costs?" We won't need to pass those costs on to you if we don't incur them. Besides, there's usually less order errors when we have a 'paper trail' to follow.

mike_s:
It's their low end regulator and BC. Nothing wrong with it, just not as high performance and design featured as some other systems.

If you're a new diver and on a tight budget, it might be a decent starter package. But You'll want to upgrade later most likely if you stay with diving.

However, in the long run you'll end up spending more by "buying twice" over time instead of getting higher end gear now. But.... This also allows you to grow as a diver and determine what you really want also by upgrading all later. So there are benefits to doing it this way.

$444 isn't a terrible price either for a starter package. Leisure pro has almost the exact same package for a couple bucks less, but you won't get a warranty with it there, so Joe Diver is a better choice most likely.

As for this web site reliable (meaning the store....) I've never heard anything bad about Joe Diver. I think they are authorized dealers for what they sell. The only thing that bothers me about them is that they won't publish a phone number and don't believe in talking to customers on the phone.

If you have a problem with the gear, it means more difficutly in getting customer service (in my opinion). Just strange they don't want to answer a customers call.

From their website: http://www.joediveramerica.com/q_a.html

can you explain why i would want to upgrade later? because i plan to stick with diving. sorry, but i know nothing about the different type of equipment.

If you really do not know what you are discussing, I think you should educate yourself before you buy anything. Your local LDS should be happy to help

abernier:
i know nothing about the different type of equipment.
This is the exact reason you will most likely end up upgrading in the future.

Right now you are just starting out in the diving world and as you gain experiance your wants & needs in gear will change. But more importantly your likes & dislikes will change. What I mean by that is that after talking to other divers about, or borrowing a friends, back-inflate BCD or backplate & wing setup you might decide that is what you really like. Or you may find that a different type of regulator breathes better for you.

I would HIGHLY suggest that you visit your LDS (Local Dive Shop) and see if they rent any type of higher end gear such as high performance regulators & back inflate BCD's. This will at least give you an idea whether or not these are for you. Then go and talk to local divers to see what gear they are using and why. (Just be warned that most every diver will think that the best piece of gear is the type he or she is using). this will give you a better feel for what will work for you.

Lastly, you really need to consider where you are going to be diving. If you are mostly diving in cold water then you will want a regulator setup that is designed for that. If you are going to do most of your diving while traveling then you might want something that is light & compact.

I don't really mean to scare out of buying equipment now. I just think that you need to do a little more research and determine what it is you really want & need. And feel free to ask any questions that you might have. That is what this board is here for.

P.S. It might be helpful if you updated your profile so that others know a little more about you. This will also help us in posting responces more to your needs.

I would be leary of the LDS. Each one will tell you that they sell the best. I do not mean to be disrespectful to the previous posters but if you do go that root I would leave the credit cards at home. Some LDS are very good others are quite bad. If you have a selection in your area then by all means check around. If not then SB is your best resource.

ams511:
I would be leary of the LDS. Each one will tell you that they sell the best. I do not mean to be disrespectful to the previous posters but if you do go that root I would leave the credit cards at home. Some LDS are very good others are quite bad. If you have a selection in your area then by all means check around. If not then SB is your best resource.

A good idea might be looking what the DC use themself for theaching......

I agree totally with Parothead! The gear you mentioned if fine gear. My LDS uses this setup as rentals, and it works fine. But when you use some higher end gear, you start noticing subtle differences! If you don't mind upgrading later (and spending more $ in the long run), the Mares package is a good solid starter package. If you are ready to spend more, and want to make a long term investment, you need to get more experience diving, and especially get to try as many different brands/models of gear to eventually determine what you like/dislike. You can then find the exact gear that has what you really want. Renting various models from LDS, and if you're lucky, borrowing from buddies, is the best way to get the gear testing you need! Then you'll be able to make a well informed choice...

Hope this helps!:coffee:

Parrothead_Diver:
This is the exact reason you will most likely end up upgrading in the future.

Right now you are just starting out in the diving world and as you gain experiance your wants & needs in gear will change. But more importantly your likes & dislikes will change. What I mean by that is that after talking to other divers about, or borrowing a friends, back-inflate BCD or backplate & wing setup you might decide that is what you really like. Or you may find that a different type of regulator breathes better for you.

I would HIGHLY suggest that you visit your LDS (Local Dive Shop) and see if they rent any type of higher end gear such as high performance regulators & back inflate BCD's. This will at least give you an idea whether or not these are for you. Then go and talk to local divers to see what gear they are using and why. (Just be warned that most every diver will think that the best piece of gear is the type he or she is using). this will give you a better feel for what will work for you.

Lastly, you really need to consider where you are going to be diving. If you are mostly diving in cold water then you will want a regulator setup that is designed for that. If you are going to do most of your diving while traveling then you might want something that is light & compact.

I don't really mean to scare out of buying equipment now. I just think that you need to do a little more research and determine what it is you really want & need. And feel free to ask any questions that you might have. That is what this board is here for.

P.S. It might be helpful if you updated your profile so that others know a little more about you. This will also help us in posting responces more to your needs.

abernier:
can you explain why i would want to upgrade later? because i plan to stick with diving. sorry, but i know nothing about the different type of equipment.

Ok... right now you don't know what to get, which is understandable if you're a new diver. When I was a new diver, I didn't know what to get either.

I bought a package similar to what you bought (different brand, but an entry level package).

Over time, through experience, research, asking other divers how they likes something, etc, you will figure out what gear you might want that would work for you for the type of diving you want to do.

You asked why you would want to upgrade later? Because as you become educated about the differences in dive gear, you'll want something better than the bottom-level-system.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom