UK HID worth it over Shockwave LED?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crazy Fingers

Contributor
Reaction score
You think it's worth the extra $75 to go with the UK HID light cannon over a PT Shockwave LED? Keep in mind that I have a tendency to bang my equipment around... how fragile is the HID bulb?

Thanks!

Should mention that I am strongly considering getting cavern certified and then maybe going to cave. Might as well get a light that would be acceptable for this use.

Hey man I have no experience with the Shockwave LED, but I do have the UK HID light cannon and I have had wonderful experiences with it, although not like LED times the burn times are quite respectable for a basic level diving light, and in my experience yes the HID Light Cannon has certainly taken a beating without showing any signs of distress.

If you're eventually planning to get into cave diving, have you considered saving up for a can light? Sure, they're (VERY) expensive, but dropping a lot of change on the UK light isn't going to help you save for what you might end up needing anyway.

I would recommend the UK....I have tried both of them before and the UK was a better light and worth the extra money....I feel the Light Cannon is one of the best lights on the market...other than going the can route, but even compared to a can light, for the size, convenience, price, and its puts out some light....I would still say light cannon....

We sell alot of them out of the store and not one has come back.....I have seen some banged up ones too.....Mine looks beatup and I havent had to replace anything yet.....If you dont buy from your local LDS, let me know and I can get you a great price....

Ah, forgot to mention, if you head into a dive shop that sells both, ask them to let you try both of them at the shop, head into a dark room and use both of them, and then use both at the same time in opposite corners and see the difference in the light, thats what sold me, and the differences are even more apparent underwater.

The Light Cannon with rechargeable batteries is going to set you back at least $220 (probably $250). For about twice that, you can have a can light made by Salvo:

http://shop.divebooty.com/6884.html

I'd consider this a much superior light to the UK. But if you're serious about getting into cave diving, why don't you post in the cave diving forum and see what those guys prefer? If your diving is going to take you to wanting a can light, then dropping half the cost on something you then wouldn't use doesn't make sense. Better to buy a $20 light for now, and start saving. YMMV.

As rainer noted, neither is considered great for cave use, you'll want a can light.

The HID will take you farther into your cave training than the LED, however. They're pretty tough, I wouldn't worry about it with normal use. Don't plan on slamming it around the way you can an LED light, but I'd say they're about as durable as a regular bulb in a halogen dive light of similar size.

Back
Top Bottom