Halifax report/photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great pics, looks like you made the best of the area shore diving.. a shame you weren't able to get out on a wreck charter.

swankenstein:
No. Despite the stiff penalties, poaching seems to be common over there, but it doesn't seem worth it to me. I guess photos last longer and are less messy.
Really? I've always felt that if you took a lobster, some fisherman would cut off your hoohoo. Never met any poachers.

BTW, nice photos Swank. Looks like you had good vis. I miss Halifax. I lived there for 6 years but never got to dive there.

I'd never steal a lobster from a fisherman, or anybody for that matter.
You're right, poaching is definitely not worth it. It is common, however, for some divers where I live to take a couple lobster (not from the fishermen's pots!!!) and have a little "boil up" on shore. This is quite tolerable, and I believe many Fisheries officers do turn a blind eye to it, despite not possessing a license.
Personally, I like lobster occasionally, but I really only eat it when someone else has it around...i.e. I'd never buy it, or go out of my way for it.
Anyway, I feel the lobster look much better in the pics than in the pot. :)
Again, great pics!

I was actually suprised how common lobsters are. I always assumed they were rare, or almost fished out, but in some places (Birchy Head, for example) they were spaced a couple feet apart in every hole. As for the poaching, I found it was common to hear of divers talking about getting together in groups and going for lobster like it was just a social thing to do. Over here, anything like that would be a "go by yourself in the middle of the night, and definitely don't talk about it" kind of thing.

I enjoyed the write ups and the photos very much. Could you elaborate on "a proper, civilized home-made strobe".

swankenstein:
I was actually suprised how common lobsters are. I always assumed they were rare, or almost fished out, but in some places (Birchy Head, for example) they were spaced a couple feet apart in every hole. As for the poaching, I found it was common to hear of divers talking about getting together in groups and going for lobster like it was just a social thing to do. Over here, anything like that would be a "go by yourself in the middle of the night, and definitely don't talk about it" kind of thing.

Yeah, it's kind of insane actually. You'd lose your dive gear, car, boat, &/or cabin if you got caught. It's just not worth it. I'm jealous of American divers though. For some, it's their reason to dive. That wouldnt' be the case for me, but I'd still like to be able to legally grab a bug from time to time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom