CMAS or PADI for DiveMaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

watch_the_bubbles

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Having just returned from Dahab for the 3rd time, I have decided that it's time to take the next step and go for one of the above qualifications.

I met a good CMAS instructor who can take me to CMAS equivalent of DiveMaster, and he recommended that I stay with CMAS till Instructor stage, and then convert over to PADI.

I am convinced that CMAS teaches more than PADI, but PADI has better commercial network, so finding work would be easier. Maybe, maybe not?

I am therefore asking for guidance in choosing the route of my education, should I go for CMAS or stick to PADI???

Any dive schools you recommend in Dahab for either CMAS or PADI?

Please share your thoughts and help me decide which route to go!

Thanks

Have you though of looking for a dive centre that offers CMAS and PADI courses and see if they can run your CMAS and PADI DM concurrently? It would mean a lot of work for you (and expense)but you would then have certs for both styles that may make you more employable!

Just a thought:light:

If you look to make a living at this game get PADI, biggest=most oppurtunity. Instructor is teh job ticket BTW, not DM

At the DM level it doesn't really matter, you can go into a PADI IDC with a PADI DM or a CMAS equiv.

Thank you all for your replies.

Asser, Salaam. Are you in Sharm or Dahab? The reason I am even considering CMAS is BECAUSE I met someone who I believe is a good instructor. (Zak, u may know him?)

DivingDoc, I couldn't afford to pay for TWO DM courses so that option is out of the question for me at this stage.

Cerich, your answer gives me the most hope....I was under the impression that if I started the CMAS route, I had to go all the way with them. From what you say, I could do the CMAS Divemaster (3*) and then almost seamlessly start my PADI IDC? Are you sure about this? Is there any info from PADI that I can check this against?

If this is the case, I would be perfectly happy to do the CMAS DM and then PADI IDC.

Yes, I know DM is not the best level to get work at, so have factored in the follow-through to Instructor.

I've umm'd and aah'd for too long about getting in the dive industry, and so am keen to get started with it

Once again, thank you for your replies and suggestions, most appreciated!

watch_the_bubbles:
Asser, Salaam. Are you in Sharm or Dahab? The reason I am even considering CMAS is BECAUSE I met someone who I believe is a good instructor. (Zak, u may know him?)
Neither nor!
I'm based in Cairo and I dive all over the Red Sea.

I don't know Zak. However, I'm a CMAS Instructor also.

Oops, sorry for the presumption!

Would love to know if it's possible to cross from CMAS 3 star to PADI IDC, as that would be my solution then!

watch_the_bubbles:
Would love to know if it's possible to cross from CMAS 3 star to PADI IDC, as that would be my solution then!

Im pretty sure that you would have to do your PADI DM at that stage. Better option would be (if you are going CMAS route) is to become a CMAS instructor. Then, should you wish you can join straight onto a PADI IDC

You have the following options:

Do CMAS 3* Diver, then go for CMAS Mon.* Instructor.
This is equivalent to PADI Assistant Instructor.
If you can do the CMAS Mon.** Instructor without having to wait, say a year, then continue.

Once you have the Mon.** Instructor cert you qualify to do the PADI IOC (Instructor Orientation Course) which is much cheaper than IDC.

But any decent school will let, even recommend, that you sit in for the full IDC at no extra charge.

That would be the cheapest route to the working ticket, and you would have the advantage (like Assar) of having knowledge of both agencies.

A DM by itself is not worth much - just a gopher licence.

Best o' luck,

Seadeuce

If you plan on working then go the PADI Route. It will be a little more expensive but if you start now then at least you will be learning the PADI System earlier.

You will be used to the way PADI ask questions, the PADI way of doing the skills and this will make you better prepared for the IDC.

This will make your IDC and IE easier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom