Will dive for food...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Poogweese

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Since the last thread kind of evolved into a seafood topic...:wink: Brian, yes, we do need to go get some scallops-you find the spot, I'll provide the transportation:D These rock scallops will be new to me, I'm used to picking up the weathervane variety off the sand.

Any Kings or Dungies we come across will also be invited to dinner:eyebrow: Seems to me like Juneau has the Kings and bay scallops, Haines has the Dungies, Wrangell has the weathervanes, and Ketchikan has the rock scallops, any other seafood prevalent in other Alaska areas?

Poog:coffee:

Has anyone ever attempted to spear fish halibut?

When I lived in Ketchikan, scallops were easy to grab on the opposite side of Pup Island (easy run from Knudson Cove). All of the fingers were alive with Scallops. Vallenar Bay had more crab than we could handle. Each trip to Vallenar was met with a limit (and lots of gas left) of 20 or 30, I can't remember what the limit was. They were always in the shallows in the sand (15-20 feet at low tide). We searched around, but, at that time, all of the easy to find Dungies were on the west side (right as you are facing the creek).

Good luck and safe diving,
Jamie

Thanks Jamie... I've also heard there are scallops over in the Tatoosh Rocks area on the back side of Betton Island, but Poog and I will definitely be checking out Pup Island!

bdshort:
Thanks Jamie... I've also heard there are scallops over in the Tatoosh Rocks area on the back side of Betton Island, but Poog and I will definitely be checking out Pup Island!

Thanks for the info Jamie, invaluable to a new Ketchikan resident such as myself:D
So, what's it going to be this weekend Brian? Scallops or crab?:eyebrow:

Regarding halibut, I've always wanted to try spearing one but either a) I didn't have my gun or b) It was too darn big!
I think there are some Kenai Peninsula divers that have speared them in Cook Inlet down by Homer area?

I was wondering about the logistics of attaching yourself to something that big underwater. Could be a heck of a ride and cheaper than a scooter.

I'm off on Saturday, but my tanks are going to have nitrox for my dive Sunday. I do have some rentals, so I could rent a couple of 85s or something, if you want to look around on Saturday.

Brian

bdshort:
I'm off on Saturday, but my tanks are going to have nitrox for my dive Sunday. I do have some rentals, so I could rent a couple of 85s or something, if you want to look around on Saturday.

Brian

You can use my 100's, I'll use the rebreather. Depending on water conditions either boat or maybe check out that S. Point Higgins site, maybe Rick could join us? Did you guys dive yesterday?

Ok, sounds good. Call me tomorrow with a time. Didn't dive yesterday, which was fine cause I don't think we would have had enough time before Tracy would have had to leave, and I had other plans too :wink:

Anyone else including freshly harvested seafood in their Christmas/Christmaseve dinner plans? So far I've got a scalop, tanner, and king and shooting for at least one more king in the morning (big family).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom