Nighttime water bugs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PandaBear

Reaction score
This may not be specific to GC but I experienced it there so I'll ask it here.

Last year on a night boat dive we were advised to ascend to the surface in the bubbles of our free-flowing air. The question is, this is done to prevent from getting bitten by what? I seem to remember that it was some sort of parasite that is feeding at the surface at night. Anybody know? Is this also a problem when diving from shore or only offshore?

Going to dive GC mid-June. Not planning to boat dive at night but rather from shore. Just want to be prepared.

Panda

I remember being given the same advice when diving in Grand Cayman. What I remember was that we were advised to turn off our lights during the safety stop and ascend straight up to avoid jellyfish. I guess the jellyfish are attracted to the dive lights (hence we turn them off), and the bubbles help push back any offending creatures. Does this sound right???

There really is very little if any shore diving "scuba" done on Grand Cayman. Unless you really want to swim. Grand Cayman is not what it used to be you will be surprised if you have not been there in a while. My last trip there last year left me with the impression that the divers are going to Little Cayman and the Brac. If you own your own gear you will be the only one on the boat that does. The bubble trick is to keep you out of Sea Lice. Trust me, I lived there for a few years.

Kenny

Back
Top Bottom