How far south??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soudan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Currently (Tasmania Australia), Previously (Alexan
# of dives
100 - 199
Well I've been told that there are great diving spots south of Hurghada and north of Sudan, but i don't really know what they are and how good are they and what kind of marine life lies in these waters, if you have an idea please educate me.
thank y'all for reading.

Asser,
Did you get to dive these areas? what did you think of them?
and do you know the conditions and depths of those sites?
thanks, your always helpful Asser

Brothers - Daedelus - Elphinstone itinerary is considered the best diving in the Egyptian Red Sea. It is called the golden triangle and it needs a bit of experience (50+ dives). Currents there could go severe and some sites could be considered bottomless.

St. Johns is easier but less interesting, IMHO. However, it is still superb.

In case you didn't dive anywhere in the Egyptian Red Sea yet, try Sinai first.

As Asser said, this area offers some of the best diving in the Red Sea.

The Brothers, Daedalous, Rocky Island, Zabargad, Elphinstone – all offer excellent wall diving, sometimes strong currents, the odd wreck, superb soft corals, large shoals of fish, all the usual reef suspects, many species of shark (silky, scalloped hammerhead, silvertip, grey reef, oceanic whitetip, occasionally tigers and whalesharks), the odd manta, turtles, etc, etc. I have done several liveaboards out around this area and it really has to be seen to be believed.

St Johns is still a nice spot, with the odd nice wall, but otherwise tends to be coral gardens, etc. Pretty, but not as in-your-face as the above.

However, come in June and you've got to hit Ras Mohammed on the tip of the Sinai. I don't care what anyone says, when that place is 'running' with the breeding fish and subsequent predator pelagics, I think it can compare with anywhere on earth.

Mark

some folks told me that allot of the reefs down in these areas are too damaged, but i don't know how bad!!
but if both of y'all agree that its a great place than i shall try it, put is it worth a week of diving or i better go and see other things?

soudan:
some folks told me that allot of the reefs down in these areas are too damaged, but i don't know how bad!!
but if both of y'all agree that its a great place than i shall try it, put is it worth a week of diving or i better go and see other things?

I've dived in most of the Egyptian and Sudanese Red Sea, and also in a few locations in Africa, Asia and the Caribean. I'd say the Red Sea can offer some of the healthiest and most scenic reefs in the world. There are comparatively little fishing, low population density along the coast lines, no rivers that run into it carrying sediments and polution. That said, some reefs in the most dived areas show sign of divers impact. And some locations can get too crowded with divers at certain times. But there are many, many reefs. And the Red Sea is not one location, it is plenty - good for several trips. How long time you are going to spend diving each visit depends on how much you like to dive (personally, I need about 30 dives in a trip before start feeling satisfied). Speices diversity for fish is not as good as in the Indo Pacific region, but about three times higher than in the Caribean. Even more for coral. There are plently of shark action (if you go to the right places in the right time), many really good wrecks, including WWII ships like the Thistlegorm & the Umbrea and historical sites like J. Costeaus Conshelf II. The one thing which it is not as spectacular for (however not bad) is critter or muck diving... What kind of diving do you like Soudan and where have you been diving before?

good luck

Christian

well, i never dove outside of Texas (rivers and lakes), and the Gulf of Mexico area, which means i've been diving in mud, and i never dove in an area where i can see more than 40ft, but the dives that i like to do are wreck dives, or dives where i can see the sea life live (what i mean is i dont just wanna see a couple of fishes, no i wanna see how they live thier lives). thats why i often dove solo.

Man, if you've only ever dived in rivers, lakes and the Gulf of Mexico, then even one of the most kicked-up sites off Sharm is going to seem outstanding to you!

I took several American friends out to Sharm on a liveaboard in July, and they were blown away by the check-out dive on the local site of Temple, when we hit Ras Mohammed as our second dive, I thought I was going to have to swim around and put regs back in, as they just hung in the water off the sheer wall and marvelled at all the fish species. The sheer numbers took their breath away.

If you like wrecks, and seeing lots of fish, then Sharm could well work for you, or a northern liveaboard. The latter will allow you to see all the best bits (Ras Mo, Straits of Tiran, Thistlegorm, Abu Nuhas) and usually avoid all the dayboats, so the sites won't be as busy.

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom