The Guardian [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

View Full Version : The Guardian

Sponsored Link
andydiver06
December 13th, 2006, 12:05 AM
Have you people seen the movie "The Gaurdian" staring Kevin Kostner and Ashton Kutcher. A must see for those who are rescue divers or considering taking a rescue course.

The US Coast Gaurd rescue swimmers are shown with mask on forehead. MOF is definitely not a sign of panicked diver and is a more comfortable position to keep you mask.;)

www.scubamazing.com
December 13th, 2006, 12:18 AM
There were some posts on this movie when it first came out. I haven't seen the movie myself.

I agree with ya though, If I see someone with MOF, I would look for other signs before I worried about there being an emergency.

CentralTxDiver
December 13th, 2006, 12:20 AM
I enjoyed the film.

Jim

Gary D.
December 13th, 2006, 12:55 AM
Just remember that the working world and the sport world have an entire universe separating them. MOF is a sport thing and doesn’t matter one bit in the other world. ;)

Gary D.

Gil57usa
December 13th, 2006, 12:58 AM
MOF again? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! !

Crawl79
December 13th, 2006, 01:09 AM
I watched the movie here in Brasil at the theater and liked it allot even though I don't like sad endings. I was a little worried the movie would scare my girlfriend since she is planning on taking her OW course in January after her law school graduation but she liked it as well and she realized that the crazy guys jumping out of helicopters with not much more than a mask and a fin was nothing like rec scuba.

Prostar
December 13th, 2006, 03:08 AM
Have you people seen the movie "The Gaurdian" staring Kevin Kostner and Ashton Kutcher. A must see for those who are rescue divers or considering taking a rescue course.

The US Coast Gaurd rescue swimmers are shown with mask on forehead. MOF is definitely not a sign of panicked diver and is a more comfortable position to keep you mask.;)

Not quite. A panicked diver will push the mask up on forehead, pop the reg out and forget to fill his BC. That is not to say that everyone who pushes the mask up is panicked, but a panicked diver may.

It is also easy to lose a mask with the next wave that comes along. Been there, did that. If you really don't mind risking the rest of your dive day on the chance that the mask won't get swept off, then have at it.

mrjimboalaska
December 13th, 2006, 03:15 AM
Oh please....
what's the difference of me putting my mask on my forehead(which I usuallly don't)
and putting on the back of my head(which I usually don't) I leave my mask on until I get on the boat, unless I'm ust hangin out bs'ing which I'll pull it down on top of my octo( on the chin)........

GO MOF'ers.......

nolatom
December 13th, 2006, 03:15 AM
Go Charlie Golf. Do it however you want.

GA Under Water
December 13th, 2006, 10:44 AM
My Brother is in that movie. :) he was an Extra in the Bar Scene Kosner walks right in front of him and he is smiling like a freak. :) MOVIESTAR!!! Look for the Tall Black headed dude.

String
December 13th, 2006, 10:46 AM
MOF is so much more comfortable when youre wearing necklaced backup regulators. And it doesnt stress the strap as much pulling it back on.

Not lost a mask yet and i figure if i do losing one mask every 6 years isnt going to be a huge issue to me. Pros outweigh the cons.

Oh as this thread could get huge i'll stir it up some more - ive never once found a use for a snorkel when diving either :)

beejw
December 13th, 2006, 11:24 AM
you obviously havnt ever been diving in large waves with no air. its much easier to breathe in choppy condition with a snorkel...other then that, theres no real point unless your doing your rescue, DM or IDC, as you need it for your surface swims/tows

i loved the guardian. top 5 movies ive ever seen :D:D

String
December 13th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Large waves?! The north atlantic tends to develop those so id say yes, every weekend. Choppy situation, inflate wing, float very high, breathe normally. If the swell is anything over 30cm a snorkel is entirely useless anyway.

Surface swims, again on back or breathing from the reg using negligable air on the surface.

Guba
December 13th, 2006, 12:15 PM
I can see where this is going...and the scenery is way too familiar.

Personally, I keep my mask on, but that's mainly because I have corrective lenses in mine and putting the mask on my forehead means I don't see things up close well. So if I want to see, mask stays in front of my eyes, and for that reason alone I have never risked losing my mask or having someone grab me in a choke hold, flip me on my back and try to start towing me to shore.
As for the snorkel, I find it much easier and faster to make long swims with it. Certainly, filling the wings and floating high is an option...if I don't want to make significant headway in a forward direction in good trim. When I'm diving in very controlled conditions (quarry, confined bay, etc...) I leave the snorkel off. If it's open water or drift diving, I have it on.
So now we have a choice...flame wars or not? I'll get my fire extinquisher ready.

Thalassamania
December 13th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Large waves?! The north atlantic tends to develop those so id say yes, every weekend. Choppy situation, inflate wing, float very high, breathe normally. If the swell is anything over 30cm a snorkel is entirely useless anyway.

Surface swims, again on back or breathing from the reg using negligable air on the surface.With all due respect, the Atlantic doesn't know what large waves are, fetch is too short. Why would a 30 cm swell keep one from using a snorkel?

talonraid
December 13th, 2006, 12:48 PM
:popcorn: haha MOF, snorkel or not to snorkel deja vu.....

Doc
December 13th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Have you people seen the movie "The Gaurdian"

I think they're running it for in-flight movies on airplanes now.

String
December 13th, 2006, 01:12 PM
As this thread isnt about the irritating plastic tube im bowing out before its hijacked.

If anyone really wants to search and breathe new life into one of the hundreds of existing ones then i'll respond on that.

beejw
December 13th, 2006, 02:43 PM
thanks string for being the bigger man and finning away :D

honestly, snokels and MOF is a personal choice. im not one to judge, and neither is anyone else for that matter.

but the gaudian is a great movie. i like seeing aston play a more serious role then those in which he is usually depicted.

ZzzKing
December 13th, 2006, 03:01 PM
What I like about this thread is the obvious efficiency in combining MOF/NMOF with snorkel/no snorkel.

gangrel441
December 13th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Everyone keeps missing the obvious...a 40 year old rescue swimmer? That's rich! :D

Otherwise, a good movie, though...

beejw
December 13th, 2006, 05:11 PM
its entirely plausible. he was the best they *ever* had, until kuchers character came along. plus, he was about to retire anyway...

anth
December 13th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Why not just keep it over your eyes, where it's supposed to be in the first place? If it's comfortable enough to wear in the water for over an hour, it should be comfortable enough for a few minutes on the surface... If your mask is uncomfortable, solve that problem. Otherwise, go find another solution looking for a problem.

beejw
December 13th, 2006, 07:28 PM
agreed. if your masks not comfy, but another one that is.

someone else mentioned this earlier, but i have Rx lenses in my mask, so if i take it off, the boat gets blurry :S

dhampton82
December 13th, 2006, 08:01 PM
While we are at it, I use suicide clips (carabingers) and I clip my computer off across my chest, over on the right shoulder d-ring. :D

cummings66
December 13th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Why not just keep it over your eyes, where it's supposed to be in the first place?

Because the first thing I do is blow my nose and feed the fish, you can't do that with the mask on now can you. Sometimes I do it at the safety stop, remove mask blow nose and try to clear it before the fish eat it. That's tough because the fish are so fast that they'll usually have it gone by the time I clear the mask.

1_T_Submariner
December 13th, 2006, 11:43 PM
Good Movie, too much love story.

No Comments on MOF/NMOF.....Fins On Pocket cool!!! (FOP Thread LOL)

Sponsored Link

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1