SF Bay Area shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EliotD

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
This Christmas I am getting my father and brother scuba lessons, or, more accurately, I am looking to sign them up for a discover/taste/try scuba night so they can decide if they like it before I go paying for full OW classes. The problem is I live in Virginia and I dont know of any good shops out there. I am looking for recommendations for a good shop that offers a try scuba night around Berkeley/SF/Oakland. I am an SDI Assistant Instructor so I prefer SDI shops, but PADI/NAUI/SSI are fine.

Thanks!

Bamboo Reef is the only SF shop that I know of.
http://www.bambooreef.com/

Perhaps there are others that I just haven't heard of.

I think Wallins which is a little farther south in San Carlos might have the best indoor pool facilities in the area(if that makes any difference)
http://www.wallins.com/

I think both are SSI

ForTheFight:
This Christmas I am getting my father and brother scuba lessons, or, more accurately, I am looking to sign them up for a discover/taste/try scuba night so they can decide if they like it before I go paying for full OW classes. The problem is I live in Virginia and I dont know of any good shops out there. I am looking for recommendations for a good shop that offers a try scuba night around Berkeley/SF/Oakland. I am an SDI Assistant Instructor so I prefer SDI shops, but PADI/NAUI/SSI are fine.

Thanks!

FortheFight: www.marindivecenter.com is just across the Golden Gate bridge and has some of the most experienced instructors in the SF bay area. They also have a store and a dive boat in Monterey.

http://www.captainaquas.com/

Located in the East Bay, Hayward and Dublin. The Hayward location is about 15 miles from Oakland. They do a pool version of discover scuba. You may find a shop in Monterey (2 hour drive) that will do a discover scuba in the ocean. I don't know how hooked you can get looking at your buddy in the pool. Then again, the pool is heated, Monterey is not.

It was SSI when I took my class but my instructors are no longer there.

Great gift!

mdb:
FortheFight: www.marindivecenter.com is just across the Golden Gate bridge and has some of the most experienced instructors in the SF bay area. They also have a store and a dive boat in Monterey.

Yes, that's actually where I did my OW cert. It was great. The only reason I didn't mention it was because it sounded like was looking primarily for SF.

Back
Top Bottom