Puget Sounder visiting Phoenix in a few weeks...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

huskychemist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello folks.

I'll be spending about a week in Phoenix with the in-laws near the end of December. I'll have my dive gear, since I'll be coming in from a cruise to Coz and Belize.

Are there any "club-type" dives going on between Dec. 24th and Dec. 28th? Or any folks that won't mind a "tag along" from up north? I have 105 logged dives since my certification in September, 2005, 102 of them in Puget Sound or California, 3 of them in the Caribbean last year. I have completed AOW and Stress and Rescue. (You can learn more about my training and background on my website.) I have yet to dive fresh water (well...except for the pool sessions for OW)...and have heard through the grape vine that some folks that can't take a weekend and drive to the ocean actually might spend time diving lakes, quarries, etc.

I'll admit to not having taken the time yet to figure out your local water conditions (temp and vis, most specifically)...and hope to do some looking later today. But I wanted to post before I forgot...

So...let me know...either through a PM or a response here. I won't have Internet access from the 15th to the 24th... so if you send a response during that time, I won't respond right away.

Thanks!

Lowell

Lowell, we will possibly be in the Phoenix area diving Lake Pleasant while your visiting. There's another out of area diver that is looking for local divers, too, and we were planning on diving with him. The 28th looks like the common day for both of you.

As for conditions, cold and murky. :wink: Water temp in Lake Pleasant was at 57 degrees this past weekend. Visibility was about 5-10, but it should clear up again soon. We've seen it as high as 15-20. Not much to see lately. Hopefully, the fish will come out soon. My website is in transition right now, but should be up tonight or tomorrow. Check it out for dive reports. Photos will be posted (again) over the next week or so. You can also check out the Lake Pleasant thread in this forum.

Dive-aholic:
As for conditions, cold and murky. :wink: Water temp in Lake Pleasant was at 57 degrees this past weekend. Visibility was about 5-10, but it should clear up again soon. We've seen it as high as 15-20.

Cold and murky...hehehe...sounds like Puget Sound. Except I don't think we hit 57 all year... 56 was my high temp for the summer up here, and 47 was the coldest last winter for me. 10 foot of vis is considered good at many places up here...

My biggest issue will be my exposure suit. Since I'll be diving warm water for my trip before Phoenix, I'm just taking my 1 mil dive skin. My 7 mil farmer john will be staying home. And...as my name implies...I'm not a small guy. Rental suits off the rack rarely fit me. But heck, I can always see if I can find something. If not, I'll at least try to drop in on an LDS or two to say hello to folks.

I'll try to PM you at some point to see if the 28th will work. Sounds fun.

Thanks.

Lowell

huskychemist:
Cold and murky...hehehe...sounds like Puget Sound. Except I don't think we hit 57 all year... 56 was my high temp for the summer up here, and 47 was the coldest last winter for me. 10 foot of vis is considered good at many places up here...

My biggest issue will be my exposure suit. Since I'll be diving warm water for my trip before Phoenix, I'm just taking my 1 mil dive skin. My 7 mil farmer john will be staying home. And...as my name implies...I'm not a small guy. Rental suits off the rack rarely fit me. But heck, I can always see if I can find something. If not, I'll at least try to drop in on an LDS or two to say hello to folks.

I'll try to PM you at some point to see if the 28th will work. Sounds fun.

Thanks.

Lowell

Call Sports Chalet 623-869-6593 and tell them your size. I've seen them accomodate a few husky divers. :wink:

I will be up at the lake on the 29th of Dec...at scorpion bay with 3 other divers...If you can come up then we will be doing a couple tanks that morning!!!!

Dive-aholic:
Call Sports Chalet 623-869-6593 and tell them your size. I've seen them accomodate a few husky divers. :wink:

Thanks for that tip. I'll definitely make that call. I packed my gloves and hood, as they are small and light...but the rest of my exposure suit will have to come from them...or somewhere else...

I'll keep you folks posted on the success (or lack thereof) of finding gear to fit me. Just remember that I won't be posting from the 16th to the 23rd or 24th...

At this point, though, if I can get a suit that fits, I'd love to join you on the 28th, Dive-aholic.

Thanks!

once again just ship it; you'll be more comfortable in your own suit, shipping probably cost about the same as renting for a couple days. Maybe it's just me but I like to steer clear of wetsuit rentals :wink:. But if you insist on renting, where are you staying? Cuz you probably have a couple other shop options for rentals if Sports Chalet doesn't have what your looking for.

-Garrett

Lowell, give me a call, 480-620-4442, when you get in town.

Garrett, good point, but at this time of year, the suit probably won't get here until 2007!

why not just wear it on the plane? it'll save shipping and the worry of renting.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom