Gloves for Monterey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefugee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello All,

I currently wear Henderson Gold Core 5mm gloves when diving Monterey. My hand never gets cold with the gloves. However, the problem is that with 5mm gloves, I have no dexterity with my fingers. I am debating on going with the same gloves - but in 3mm. Anybody care to comment?

Thanks again.

Minh

I use XS Scuba 3mm gloves, I chose them specifically because of the dexterity since I plan to get into photography eventually. Never had a problem with cold hands, wouldn't even think twice about getting another set of 3mm if these wore out.

1. Keeping your hands warm is more about keeping your trunk and head warm than your gloves.

2. SeaSoft makes a 5/3 (5mm mostly, 3mm on thumb and forefinger) and a 3/1.5. I use the 3/1.5's. The
model you want is the Ti Pro Edge: Kevlar on the wear points, nicely curved to the
natural shape of your hand (cheap gloves lay flat). They last and last and last. Other
gloves would last me maybe a year (130 dives). The SeaSofts last me two or three
years. There was a thread on ba_diving about wet glove choice this fall and this was
the nearly unaminous choice. I think AWS and Aquarius Del Monte carry them.

I like the Deep See Dry Comfort gloves.

http://www.deepseeinc.com/products/dry_comfort.html

They're for a drysuit, but you can use them as a wet glove. There's no water exchange with them and the dexterity is still there.

I use 3mm but wear gloves that are made out of the same material that Misteriosos are made of. Otter Bay Wetsuits makes them a custom fit for $45.00. They are awesome. Call Cricket the owner. She is great. They are thin and snug that you can still get the warmth you need and the mobility of your hands.

Thanks everyone for the suggestion. It looks like the 3mm gloves are doable in Monterey.

Chuck - the only thing I don't like about the Seasoft Ti Pro Edge is that it looks like a gauntlet type of glove. Unfortunately, my drysuit sleeve are a little long, so a gauntlet type of glove won't work. :( I might go to my LDS and check out the glove. Thanks again for all your excellent advices on all the threads!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom