905 drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SparticleBrane

Contributor
Reaction score
I've seen the price on this going up drastically over the last little bit, and I also heard it was made in Finland. Is this price increase just due to the dollar slumping or is it equipment related (or is DR just being greedy?) :D

The slumping dollar vs the EURO is the biggest factor. Other factors include the price increase of boots (all suit manufacturers are feeling this, and most are now all getting their boots from the same place). Improved pockets are also being put on the 905, which doesn't affect price much, but a little.

Talked to Zeb lately? Did you ever give Killer a little pet for me?

Cheers

Talk to Zeb frequently, especially since I volunteered for one of his OW classes this semester. :D Haven't seen Killer, although I'd like to meet him. I've heard stories...:11:
I also talked to your co-worker Pete this evening at Gypsy and tried on a 905. Give that man a raise, he's great! Really good with one-on-one attention and knows his stuff.
I liked how the 905 felt so it's currently in the running whenever I decide to get a drysuit.

Diving the 905 was nice, it had a good feel to it. My only issue is that when I was ascending, the dump valve didn't want to vent. It was all the way open and wouldn't even vent if I pressed the valve. Eventually it decided to burp, but it didn't want to do it as early as I would have hoped.
The valve itself seems to be on the inside of the arm, more towards the bicep than the tricep. Perhaps this has something to do with it?
Any suggestions? Perhaps I just need more drysuit dives. :D

SparticleBrane:
Diving the 905 was nice, it had a good feel to it. My only issue is that when I was ascending, the dump valve didn't want to vent. It was all the way open and wouldn't even vent if I pressed the valve. Eventually it decided to burp, but it didn't want to do it as early as I would have hoped.
The valve itself seems to be on the inside of the arm, more towards the bicep than the tricep. Perhaps this has something to do with it?
Any suggestions? Perhaps I just need more drysuit dives. :D
If it ain't dumping when you press the button, there's no air under it to dump. You need to modify your position to get air under the valve. This is true with any dry suit, and valve positioning can be a hot topic as everyone has their own opinion on where's optimum.
As for the 905, once you figure out optimum positioning, you'll find that just flexing your arm a la "muscle man" will vent it quite nicely.
Rick :)

Takes a little time to develope the feel of the individual suit and exhust valve. I had a suit with an Apex exhust valve which dumped air very easily but leaked. I had the valve rebuilt and still it leaked. I changed it out for the Sitex (same valve on the 905) and no more leaks, but it seemed to be slow dumping. After 20 dives or so, the new valve and I are one. It dumps the proper amount whereas the old valve dumped too much. You've got to understand the air flow in your suit and shift it to the left shoulder when you want to dump. After a few dives you'll not even notice it dumping.

Thanks for the advice guys. I also PM'd someone on TDS who I know owns a 905 and the "flexing" is what he suggested. Seems like a good idea...
edit: Rick--that's the thing that was bothering me. I could feel the air bubble in the suit expanding as I was ascending, and I could feel it in my arm under the valve but it wasn't burping. :(

SparticleBrane:
Thanks for the advice guys. I also PM'd someone on TDS who I know owns a 905 and the "flexing" is what he suggested. Seems like a good idea...
edit: Rick--that's the thing that was bothering me. I could feel the air bubble in the suit expanding as I was ascending, and I could feel it in my arm under the valve but it wasn't burping. :(
Well, you can verify the operation of the valve without even getting in the water - just blow the suit up until you look like the Michelin Man and then press the button to see if it vents or not. If it doesn't, then you have a hardware problem. If it does, then you just think you have the bubble under the valve and it really isn't... :)
Rick

Rick:

I see you list your location as "North Pole". Me too! How about a cup of coffee at the Trading Post or the Food Factory?

Rick Murchison:
Well, you can verify the operation of the valve without even getting in the water - just blow the suit up until you look like the Michelin Man and then press the button to see if it vents or not. If it doesn't, then you have a hardware problem. If it does, then you just think you have the bubble under the valve and it really isn't... :)
Rick
I just had a Homer Simpson moment--"D'oh, I should have thought of that!" *smacks forehead*
Thanks Rick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom