Another transpac problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raviepoo

Contributor
Reaction score
in exile in the Pennsyltucky Archipellago
# of dives
500 - 999
I find my Transpac to be ridiculously heavy, especially when wet. The lumbar pad holds water. It makes no difference when under water but it makes my gear bag unutterably heavy after a dive. Is anyone else bothered by this?

Yep I was, But I found a really easy way to solve it..........................................................................................................................................Sold it to someone on EBAY and bought a BP/Wing setup. And wondered why I had not done it earlier.

That didn't take long. Lizard.... She's looking for help/advice w/what she has. Not do a complete overhaul.

Ravie.... Have you tried diving w/o the lumbar pad? Are you diving a wet or dry suit? You can actually have a spinal pad (strip) added to the inside of you suit. I have one in my old Navy suit. It's about 4" wide & runs from the bottom of my neck all the way to the base of my spine. My new suit doesn't have one, but I can still were the TPII w/o it's pad.

Hope that helps.

>>I find my Transpac to be ridiculously heavy, especially when wet. The lumbar pad holds water. It makes no difference when under water but it makes my gear bag unutterably heavy after a dive. Is anyone else bothered by this?<<

DiveRite suggests in the TPII manual that you might want to remove the Lumbar Pad if you are diving with a single tank. I did this to mine. Also, because I am kind of a minimilist, I removed the cummerbund. Don't know if that would also hold water though. With that configuration, the TPII should be pretty darn light.

Dave

I dive wet or dry depending on the circumstances and the water temperature. There's no need for a drysuit in 83 degree water.

So the Transpac without the lumbar pad supports the weight of a tank (AL80 in warm water) without squishing? that would solve quite a few problems for me and motivate me to buy travel wings for my trips to warmer water.

Do you have the spinal pad in a wetsuit or a drysuit? What make and model suit? My wetsuit zips up the back (front zip suits just don't seal at the neck on my body) so I don't think it's an option.

thethumper once bubbled...

Ravie.... Have you tried diving w/o the lumbar pad? Are you diving a wet or dry suit? You can actually have a spinal pad (strip) added to the inside of you suit. I have one in my old Navy suit. It's about 4" wide & runs from the bottom of my neck all the way to the base of my spine. My new suit doesn't have one, but I can still were the TPII w/o it's pad.

Hope that helps.

backplate

raviepoo once bubbled...
I find my Transpac to be ridiculously heavy, especially when wet. The lumbar pad holds water. It makes no difference when under water but it makes my gear bag unutterably heavy after a dive. Is anyone else bothered by this?
You really don't need the lumbar pad with a single (don't really need it with doubles either, but it sure is comfy). With the travel wing you'll find the Transpac to be the lightest, nicest thing you've ever tried; it packs in half the space of a BP for traveling and is lighter too. I own and use both BP/wings and Transpac, and I prefer the Transpac for light doubles most of the time, and always prefer the Transpac with singles. The BP is better with heavy (95's & up) doubles.
Rick

The spinal pad is in my Navy 2 pc wet. The farmer john zips in front. That doesn't mean that one couldn't be added to a back zip though. I just bought a new Henderson Gold 1 pc back zip w/a "shorty" farmer john you wear on the outside of the 1 pc. I'm still considering having the spinal pad added to the 1pc.

O-ring..... subtle.... VERY subtel... :)

I originally wanted to get two different wings for my TP - one for local diving with multiple tanks and a drysuit, and another for easy, breezy, lightwieght dives in the tropics. I held off on buying the travel wing though, because I wasn't totally convinced by the TP. The weight factor and the bulk of the lumbar pad made me doubt whether I would love this BC for travel. I was scared to let go of my trusty old Seaquest Libra.

You changed all that. You showed me that there is another way. You did what the crappy DiveRite manual could never do. You convinced me that it's OK to go pad-free!

I bought the travel wing this evening after work. When I came home I broke the rig down, lost the lumbar pad and Rec wing and swapped in the travel wing. This is the BC I have always dreamed of! I have met my match! I am in gear nirvana! I keep looking over at my little TP taking up no room at all in my carry on bag and I quiver with delight!!!! I can't wait to try it out in Key Largo next weekend!!!!!!!

Thank you!

(PS - Does anyone know someone who is looking for a Seaquest Libra, size ML?)

Rick Murchison once bubbled...

You really don't need the lumbar pad with a single (don't really need it with doubles either, but it sure is comfy). With the travel wing you'll find the Transpac to be the lightest, nicest thing you've ever tried; it packs in half the space of a BP for traveling and is lighter too.

raviepoo once bubbled...
I can't wait to try it out in Key Largo next weekend!!!!!!!
How was your trip? Did you have fun?
Rick

Back
Top Bottom