Pioneer/Halcyon compared to OMS system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dcostanza

Reaction score
# of dives
Good morning.

Until this morning I was planning on upgrading From my Dacor Rig 3 to a Pioneer BP/Wings system after my DIR Fund. class next week. I recently came across some information stating that the OMS system is better???

I'm looking for either a 27lb-36lb wing. Everything I have read, as well as talking with one of my dive buddies (who owns a Pioneer/Halcyon setup) has convinced me that that is the way to go... that is until this morning.

Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything and would appreciate the input of those familiar with the pros/cons of the OMS setup compared to the Pioneer/Halcyon setup.

Thank you for your time on my request...

Best Regards
Don Costanza

What have you heard is better about the "OMS System", and what setup are they talking about?

The only thing that OMS makes that I like better tha Halcyon is the backplate. That is becuase it is the same shape as the Halcyon, but I can get a SS one for about $100 on LeisurePro as compared to $160 for Halcyon. :D

My only concern in responding to this is that you have not shared what information it was that caused you to feel the OMS might be better. If you had I would be able to respond to your concerns. Since you didn't I wonder if this is just a troll. I'm assuming it isn't so I'll give you my opinion.

You will be well pleased with the Halycon wing & backplate.

I have 4 wings and 2 backplates, all Halcyon. I have a 45 # & 55 # Explorer wings for diving doubles (need two because my son dives) and an 18 # & 27 # Pioneer wings for diving singles. My son has the 18 # in Puerto Rico where he is stationed with the USN. So when my daughter told me she wanted to learn I had to buy another to teach her.

Of the Pioneer wings I would choose the 27 # unless, only diving in the tropics with a shorty or no suit in which case I'd go to the 18 #. Since you stated the Pioneer I assume you want a single tank wing. OMS doesn't have a wing designed for single tanks, and there is a difference.

Some of OMS' wings are OK (the ones without bungies) but they don't compare to the Halcyon. If you compare the OMS to the Halycon side by side and look at the features of each, I think you will choose the Halcyon.

If not, its your money, your choice and you don't have to justify your purchase to anyone (except maybe your wife).

Dave D

dmdalton,
I can appreciate you being skeptical of my post; however, I don't believe in "trolling." My personal belief is that it wastes everyones time and is not productive, it also destroys any future credibilty the individual may have as the individual will always been viewed with skepticism.

I will get the specific info later this evening as I didn't want to mis-quote the 'pros" I read regarding the OMS versus Halcyon bp/wings setup. In the interim... I do appreciate your input. I am leaning heavily towards the Halycon/Pioneer wings-bp setup and the info on OMS caught me by suprise. Wasn't sure if this was an opinion or fact and as such would post my initial question, albeit lacking in specifics, to see if others have made a similar comparison or not. In retrospect, specifics would help to illicit accurate feedback. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

JamesK
Thank you for your input as well. All things being equal, I have had communications with another member of this board and will more than likely purchase the Halcyon/Pioneer BP-wings from him.

Best Regards
Don Costanza

dcostanza once bubbled...
I will get the specific info later this evening as I didn't want to mis-quote the 'pros" I read regarding the OMS versus Halcyon bp/wings setup.
Don... I did not consider your post a troll but I too find it difficult to answer a general question specifically. I'm sure that if I just say, "Halcyon is better than OMS" that would be a less than satisfying answer.

But let me try to be a little more specific while you wait to find out what it is you are asking.

The Halcyon Pioneer wing is connected across the bottom which allows for easier dumping. The inflator hose is short and not likely to get caught on anything. The bladderless construction does not trap air. The inflator hose is secured to the wing by a nylon strain relief sleeve near the inlet. The shape of the wing is long and narrow providing excellent trim and less drag.

As for plates and harness material - get that where ever you want.

As for d-rings - don't go with billy rings (welded)

And why not wait and ask your DIRf instructor :D

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

As for d-rings - don't go with billy rings (welded)

I use one of these on the left waist as it makes hooking a stage much easier. Is the objection due to rigid=entanglement?

Phil

I have not tried diving with a Halycon wing so I can't directly compare, but I don't have any problems with my OMS 100 lb wing. I currently don't dive doubles (need more experience...) but with a STA the OMS IQ Paq works great. No problems with trapping air or with the "bungies of death". The IQ Paq is very comfortable when diving with no suit. Also, the intergrated weight system is very well thought out. I have let two dive buddies try my setup and they have both purchased OMS from ebay. Checkout ebay for some great deals on OMS wings.

Uncle Pug,

I also appreciate your time on what I had originally posted to solicit general input. I wasn't sure if there was something within the public domain that I somehow have missed regarding this comparision. As in "..everyone knows that...but me." I'm a bit skeptical about the information I read last night as I have thought all along that the Halcyon line of products is superior to anything I have seen in my short amount of time being involved in diving. That is why I posted my initial question here, to help me clarify whether the info was opinion or based on actual facts.

I will talk with the DIRF instructor next week. Not being one to wait around... I thought I'd do a little research ahead of time.

Best Regards
Don Costanza

AquaGuy wrote...
.. I don't have any problems with my OMS 100 lb wing. I currently don't dive doubles ...
100lb wing with a single? Wow, that's almost 3x the capacity of the singles wing I use with my drysuit and steel 104.

If you have the chance, see if you can borrow a 36lb wing sometime. You just might be surprised...

:)

I have just recently changed over to the halcyon set up and love it so far.I use a SS BP with a 36lb wing.Wish i had known about this setup long time ago.

Ill be taking a DIR fundamentals class in late nov/dec.Everything was pretty straight forward and easy to set up using the DIR fundamentals book and lots of advice and help from uncle pug.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom