Nitrox Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdvaughn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am currently reading my nitrox book getting ready for my class on sunday and I was wondering about something. Do I need to have my reg set and what not also O2 cleaned along with my tank to use it with ean32 and ean36? or can I use the same set of regs without O2 cleaning them between nitrox and Air?? Thanks aloT!

Your reg should be fine with EANx mixes below 40%. As for your tanks, that depends on what kind of mixing is being done. Here in MA, few places PP fill, so keeping non-O2 clean tanks is fine. YMMV.

Thats what I thought.....just wanted to make sure. I figure I will O2 clean my tank so that I can get it filled anywhere no matter what type of filling. But I guess I can leave the rest alone then. Any others?

One issue to consider is that if you have it O2 cleaned, you'll only want to get O2 clean air fills (otherwise it will no longer be O2 clean!). Just make sure that whoever you have doing your air fills meets this standard.

You might wqnt to think about investing in an O2 analyzer. I didn't at first and it turned out to be pretty inconvenient. Since I got one I appreciate it more all the time.

HarveyO:
You might wqnt to think about investing in an O2 analyzer. I didn't at first and it turned out to be pretty inconvenient. Since I got one I appreciate it more all the time.

Just curious what you like about having it? So far, I've just used the shop's each time I've gotten EANx fills. I calibrate it against a tank of air, so have a good idea it's working. Might feel better about having my own, though, if I were traveling and didn't trust the shop as much.

Well coming form a dive club aspect, when I pick up 18 tanks for brining to a club dive its nice to have the person using it analyze it since not all 18 people may have showed up to the dive shop for the pickup.

Cheekymonkey:
Well coming form a dive club aspect, when I pick up 18 tanks for brining to a club dive its nice to have the person using it analyze it since not all 18 people may have showed up to the dive shop for the pickup.

That certainly makes sense. Just wondering about the diver getting his own fills.

Well while most agencies say everyone should check their own fills, with that many people its not very realistic to al lhead to dthe dive shop, nor would the diveshop owner have room for everyone, so we tend to pick up tanks a day ahead and have them with us when we go on the trip for the others with names on them.

Consult your regulator manual to be sure. Chances are it will be ok to use for up to 40%.

Regarding fills:

- Partial pressure filling means putting the correct amount of pure O2 into your tank, then topping it off with air. This requires your valve and your cylinder to be O2 clean and compatible. Your LDS can perform this service for $30-40.

- Banked or premixed means the shop orders Nitrox pre-made, consequently your tank/valve does not need to be O2 clean if your mix will be less than 40%

- If your shop uses a Stik or a membrane system, the compressor starts with regular air and slowly raises the percentage of O2 by processing nitrogen out of the air. If you never get mixes above 40%, your tank/valve does not need to be O2 clean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom