Need HELP/Info on selling my lien holder car in Hawaii!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aznlmpulse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've never done this before, so I'm not even sure where to start. I have buyers interested in my 03 Infinity G35, and my credit union has the title on hand.

I guess my questions are....

does he make out the check to me, or to my credit union?
and if there is a difference, does he make that amount out to me?
do I need to go to the DMV with him for a transfer of registration?
do I need to turn in my plates?

ANY advice will be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!

-eun

I've only sold my car to someone once before (a long time ago) and I owned it outright. I'm sure someone will be along who has done this more recently than I.

However, I would recommend calling your credit union to find out whether they prefer the check being made out to you or to them - though I'm not sure that it really makes a difference. If the check is made out to the credit union for an amount greater than your loan, I would assume they could just deposit the rest into your account or cut you a check for the difference.

I don't recall going with the guy to transfer registration - I think I just signed the certificate of title.

As far as the license plates, I think that transfers with the car registration.

first, he'll need to have a certified check. Second, you should call the credit union (assuming it's in hawaii) and ask them for the payoff FOR THE DATE YOU'RE GOING TO PAY IT OFF. Third, you should go with him to the credit union, with the certified check made out to the credit union to get the lien clearance and title. AFter that, registrationis his problem, adn the credit union will be able to tell you what to do withthe plates, as each state is different. IF he makes the certified check payable to the credit union in its entirety, the credit union will then make you a check for the balance, but it's best to call the credit union first. IF he makes the check out for the payoff, and give you the balance in a seperate, certified check, that's fine as well. The credit union WILL NOT release the title without certified funds.

I've been inthe automobile busienss for twenty years, and owned a company that licensed and titled rental cars in 47 of the fifty states, including Hawaii. I check my mailbox frequently on this site, e-mail me if you ahve any more questions. Trust the credit union - they've done this a million times.

If your credit union is on the mainland it only complicates matters by the overnight mail process.

Back
Top Bottom