Did anybody dive this weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adobo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My read of the swell models was pretty much like everybody else - bad conditions. Plus the energy was coming from the northwest meaning less of the bay was sheltered. So my guess would have been that even the breakwater was a mess.

Did anybody dive? Were conditions as bad as the models were indicating?

Sure did.

1 1/2 hour dive
average depth 4 feet.
100+ viz
no surge.

... Course that was in a pool.

Got a report from someone who dove at the breakwater on saturday. Said the viz was something like 1 to 2 feet.

I'm going to try Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday....

Adobo:
My read of the swell models was pretty much like everybody else - bad conditions. Plus the energy was coming from the northwest meaning less of the bay was sheltered. So my guess would have been that even the breakwater was a mess.

Did anybody dive? Were conditions as bad as the models were indicating?
I didn't see anybody going in any place but Breakwater, but there were indeed classes at Breakwater both Saturday and Sunday. I could identify five distinct groups on Sunday. The swells were only about 2', but on a very slow period and so with a good punch. Visibility was nil.

Diving Saturday on the boats was miserable. Monterey Express didn't even go out, and Escapade also passed out rain checks. Cypress Sea did go, but one of the divers on the boat told me the vis got worse the deeper he went. At 100', he had about 18" of vis! He said his dive lasted a total of 12 minutes, and after the first dive the whole boat voted to call it a day and head into port.

It was not a good weekend for diving. Now, when is the next dive?

Bruce Sawyer:
Monterey Express didn't even go out

I signed up for Saturday the 16th, but it was cancelled because there was only 3 divers including me. :(

Pt Lobos 23 Dec 06

PC220034.jpg

Plenty of parking :)... notice the wave crashing...
PC220061.jpg

What's all the foam doing inside the cove :(
PC220037.jpg

A lot of sloshing at the boat ramp
PC220036.jpg

Middle reef
PC220033.jpg

Cannery Pt Wall
PC220032.jpg

PC220030.jpg

Well according to the weather report, Monterey is suppose to be expecting heavy rain this Monday and Tuesday Ben...looks like no diving on Christmas day or the day after Christmas.

Darn, I wanted to get some diving in X-mas day! Anyone up for trying anyway? I just have to be in SF in the evening. I don't really mind low viz anyway. Thanks for posting the photos!

Hey Ben - did you end up calling the dive? I been wanting to get wet - but looks like I will have to wait till the new year.

Minh

Back
Top Bottom