Wreck Penetration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

depending on the wrecks you choose to dive.

build up expereince slowly, there are good artificail reefs around the country that can be "fairly"safe to get you going.

That being said you will want to get some profesional training

seek out one of the technical training agencies like TDI or IANTD [i am sure there are others] that offer training in penetration.

also depending on the depth of the wrecks you may want to get training in deeper diving and even decompression diving.

all of those types of diving are technical style of diving don't be missled by padi their specialties are not designed for wreck penetration diving

AquaTec once bubbled...
all of those types of diving are technical style of diving don't be missled by padi their specialties are not designed for wreck penetration diving
Actually I just completed the PADI Wreck specialty a few weeks ago. We did do penetration. PADI allows for penetration within the daylight zone, as long as the depth and distance penetrated does not exceed 130', ie you can penetrate 50' into a wreck at 80', 30' into a wreck at 100', etc. The value of that "standard" though is questionable IMO. My instructor had been through GUE Tech 1 training, which added to the value of the course for me. I felt it was a good introductory course for wrecks - it does NOT cover in detail many considerations of overhead diving.

You have described the padi course perfectly, it is the caven course of wreck diving.

It is the caven course of wreck diving

i do not agree with caven courses or courses that let you enter an overhead enviroment without the full trianing.

what happens durring a silt out and your 100 feet inside that wreck/cave sitting in 30 feet of water. or ooa situation, etc, etc.

AquaTec once bubbled...
what happens durring a silt out and your 100 feet inside that wreck/cave sitting in 30 feet of water. or ooa situation, etc, etc.
Had a siltout during the course, one deck down about 60' into a wreck in 70' of water (just coincidence this is 130'). Myself, instructor, and a tech buddy, I was leading, and caused the siltout. I just reversed and followed the line out, reeling as I went until I was out of the siltout. I mean siltout, as in 2 inch visibility. My instructor and buddy weren't in the siltout - they were on the edge of the big ball of mud I stirred up with a misplaced hand. But if something else had happened, like an entanglement, OOA, etc, I would have been a bit overloaded.

This course doesn't qualify me for extended or deep penetrations - just the "cavern zone" of wrecks. We have to start somewhere, right?

You mention that you where being taught by an instructor who took the GUE tech 1 course. this sounds like you have a good instructor who has taught you "possible" beyond what most padi wreck instructors teach.

if you are going to get instruction in wreck diving make sure the instructor has actual experience in wreck diving, has a technical certification in wreck penetration, and teaches you what he knows.

and never dive beyond you rcomfort level or your training.
remember training is a stepped process, so if in a caven style course it may appear that you have been taught all you need to know, then when you take full cave/wreck look back at what it taught you that you did not know

Take a wreck diving and cave diving course through your LDS. Wreck penetration can be relatively safe, depending on the wreck. I try to be mainly a wreck diver, but every once in a while i find myself in a cave...

TDI Advanced Nitrox (So you are clear headed on the wreck)\
TDI Deco Procedures
TDI/IANTD Overhead Environment

These course give you far far more experience than the PADI Wreck spec. (I did that one. I had great instructor and learned much but it didn't come close to my TDI courses. I'll do the OE next year.)

Then Trimix - Advanced Trimix

Then the Padi speciality - Divorced Diving :D

Drysuit specialty, and TDI Advanced Nitrox are my next two courses. Hopefully a DIR-F somewhere in there as well.

Then the Padi speciality - Divorced Diving

I have that specialty....padi...put another dollar in, really takes up a new meaning on this specailty. say 500k for this specailty.

as for wreck diving, you really need to go with a technical agency, no question about it.

Obviously i like TDI but there are othere out there too

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom