Oceanic Vortex V12 Fin: best kick style??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gene1948

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I am considering the Vortex V12 split fin and would appreciate any advise or experience on what kick style has been found to be most productive / work best for this fin. Is a slight bent knee / small flutter kick similar to what TUSA recommends for their Xpert Zoom fin also recommended for the V12? Thanks, Gene in NC

Gene,

Before you go and spend close to $200 on the V12s, or whatever they are going for these days, try to borrow a pair and try them. I had V12s, and found I was constantly battling leg cramps, poor control, and weak performance in strong currents. A modified to full flutter seemed to be the best, and only kick that worked for me.

I picked up a pair of Jets on eBay for $20, and no more leg cramps, great in the currents, and spot on control. Also, I can now do frog kicks, something the V12s aren't very good at.

This isn't an advertizement for Jets. Fins are very personal - different strokes for different folks. Different styles of diving and needs will govern what works best for you.

I'd have to agree that the V-12's are excellent at most kicks but ceretnly not the frog kick. I've tried the twinjets and personally think the V-12's have better control and power. rickyd is right though, it really depends on the person using them and how they kick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom