another newbie chosing equpment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kerstil

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
I'm going on a trip to Cocos in January and trying to buy all my equipment (I have nada)
My head is spinning a little but I thought I would go with:
Oxychec 30# wing and aluminium back plate
Oceanic GT3 CDX5 regulator and just get any octo
Any consol - I already have a Oceanic atom watch
Well thats as far as I got
Just need to take the plunge, any reason why I should't?

Well I would try the gear before you buy it, have u breathed on that reg.
Don't just go with any octo, get something that yhour comfortable with, maybe something that can be breathed inverted. Talk to your local diveshop find out all the options, you don't have to get bells and whistles, just find out about them.

thanks for the quick reply
I dont really have time to try any of the gear.
I'm a few hours from my LDS and working full out until then
I'm sort of planning to just go with it from what I've read.
I have had some pretty awful rental gear and it has never spoiled any dive. I'm not very fussy.

kerstil:
Oxychec 30# wing and aluminium back plate
Oceanic GT3 CDX5 regulator and just get any octo
Any consol - I already have a Oceanic atom watch
Well thats as far as I got
Just need to take the plunge, any reason why I should't?

excellent choice on the bp/wings. they will grow with you, and grow and grow as you dive.

i would try to get as good a regulator as i can. for example, the Zeagle Envoy Deluxe:

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=EnvoyDeluxe

for an octo, you can ask scubatoys if they will sell you just an Envoy second stage; get a good octo; you may need it.

have you thought about getting a computer? the Aeris Atmos 2 is excellent and cheap. you will need a separate pressure gauge.

if at all possible, get the stuff into a pool and mess around with it before your trip.

Yep the getting into the pool is a good idea, even if you can't make it to spring/lake/ocean, it will at least give you an idea of how your gear works for you before you get out there and find out you don't like how your reg breathes, or you can't reach the pockets on your BC or something silly like that.

thanks alot for the advice
Is the oceanic gt3 cdx5 not that good?
I have the money to spend (not through away though), so whyat reg and octo should I get. (no ice and no other particular demands)?
I've got the oceanic atom watch and am really happy with it, any need for anything but backup air and dephth for the console?
thanks again

btw
if the gear arrives in time, I'll be playing in the pool definitely

If I may ask, why are you going for the bpw? You dont have a dive profile, so I dont know your background, but I assume your a fairly new diver if you are buying all your gear right before a trip. In my opinion, a great trip like this is not the place to be trying a completely new configuration. You say you are looking at this gear because people on hear recommended it, but remember this board is very biased. The bpw users are definately a vocal minority in terms of people you will probably encounter diving. Nothing wrong with wanting a backplate, but make sure you want it for the right reasons, not because you hear good things about it on the internet. Many people never dive (heck, see) a backplate in their entire dive career... so there are good products other than them.

With that said (before someone starts crucifing me for suggesting something other than a plate), I dive a plate and love it. Just want to make sure you dont get it for the wrong reasons.

a bpw appeals to me in its 'simplicity' and I can't see any downsides.
I like the idea of having less 'wing' or volume and being able to change if my diving demands that (cold suit, double taks, or less volume for air to get trapped in) Obviously it means maybe getting another set up if I want to dive in cold water.
I like the idea of less stuff around my chest.
I don't know if I am jumping into 'deep water' just seems to make sense.

Back
Top Bottom