Diving in California, Jan/Feb 2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mattkk

New
Reaction score
Hi All - I'm new to this site and am looking for some help/advice. I'm a UK photographer based out of Malaysia and have recently been commissioned to produce a book about different marine environments around the world. I need to include Kelp forests but am working on an extremely tight deadline - I need to have everything in the bag by mid-Feb at the latest. California is certainly an option but I really need some info about conditions over there - what the kelp is like, what sort of vis I can expect, general conditions etc etc, basically anything that will help me out! At the moment its a toss-up between California or Tasmania but the kelp in Tas is at its worse in the next few months (winter is best) - I can go now, or delay and head to California in Jan. I would seriously appreciate any help/advice/opinions from you all.

Regards

Matt Oldfield

Like Chuck said, it can be hit or miss in the winter as far as diving, but the vis is good when you can. As far as intact kelp forests this time of year, a good bet might be the Channel Islands. The vis is generally good all year around and they normally have a nice amount of very beautiful kelp. You could try contacting Truth Aquatics for details on diving there.

Last January, I didn't get to dive due to rough conditions along the Sonoma Coast. However, you can "usually" find some place to dive in Monterey.

Tough call. I haven't been to Tasmania, so I couldn't do a comparison for you.

Weather was fine today, but vis was bad as of Dec, 19 today. :p

I was down in Catalina, Channel Islands, a week ago. There was very little kelp there, due to very warm conditions at the end of summer I was told (water temperature reached a maximum of 79F in August which is rather amazing). So that might not be a good alternative. Northern islands might be better. I met Dr. Bill for the first time btw. He was out on the Neptune with us. The Neptune is now out of action for an overhaul for a while.

Like RoyN, I was also in the water today (Pt Lobos). Vis was not bad, but not good either. Maybe 25' outside the cove... under 10 inside. And significant surge at 25' and above. Still, great day to be in the water!

If you want Kelp in Jan or Feb...go to the Northern Channel Islands for it. It's still pretty dead down here in So Cal from the too warm summer. I don't remember seeing too much up in Nor Cal last time I was there (a few weeks back) either. I do know that it is abounding off Santa Cruz, as we got to dive in it last Sunday. There is even more out at San Miguel and Santa Rosa Islands, two of the furthest out Northern Channel Islands. The Truth has multi day trips, which are fun and they have great food. They leave out of Santa Barbarbra. The Peace and Spectre are both out of Ventura Harbor and also go out to the N. Channel Islands. The Peace has better food, and gives better fills, tho.

Jan and Feb are good months vis wise, as mentioned earlier, tho, sometimes the storm gods are relentless, so it can be a bit hit and miss...

Let us know if you do come out this way. I am sure a couple of SBers will be more than happy to go out with ya! I sure will try to make it to whichever part of Cally you manage to get to vidit

Back
Top Bottom