Snorkeling in the Keys??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crayzray

Registered
Reaction score
I posted a while ago about taking a 20th anniversary trip with my husband. Originally we'd planned to go to Bonaire, but we aren't going to be able to afford the trip we wanted to take. For a while we were worried that we wouldn't be able to afford anything at all, but we were able to get $120 tickets into an airport near Miami, find a very inexpensive studio apt in the Florida Keys through VRBO, and then I pricelined a car for 19/day. So our trip is going to happen --a full week for less than $1000. We won't be able to do as much snorkeling as we'd hoped, but still plan on taking a few snorkeling trips. We wondered if anyone had recommendations for operators in the Keys. We are looking for a basic, no frills kind of trip with plenty of time in the water. Suggestions?

thanks again,
Cindy in NC

Hey Cindy
I have been diving in Key Largo for several years in a row now, and recently, I have been using It's A Dive. (They have a website: www.itsadive.com) They have excellent customer service, the boats are very nicely kept, and thier location is inside the campus of a Marriot Hotel which can convenient if you wish to stay there.

Also, the scuba magazine, Scuba Diving, did an article recently that rated top Florida Keys Operators. I have not been able to find it on thier site, however, you may be able to get a hold of a back issue at a library or news stand.

Google can work wonders too! :)
Gordon

I can also personally recommend Amy Slate's. You do not have to stay there to go out on their boat for snorkeling. Other than the duane and spiegel trips all of their dives are shallow reeef dives where you can also snorkel.

Get a placemat with a map of the Keys and reefs at the local diner, Cost-Free.
Rent the boat from a local, Cost 30 bucks a day.
Snorkel or scuba till you get tired,-Priceless.

james croft:
Get a placemat with a map of the Keys and reefs at the local diner, Cost-Free.
Rent the boat from a local, Cost 30 bucks a day.
Snorkel or scuba till you get tired,-Priceless.

rent boat @$30 a day??That is one good trick..maybe you all mean $300. a day...At $30. a day I;ll take one for a week in August bug season opening week..Hell I'll splurge and take 2,keep one as a spare..

howdy,

i'd have to agree with james croft. spending the money on renting a boat is much more productive than having someone take you out. the last time i was down in the keys, i rented one with a family friend for about $150 (in the tourist season) and split the cost. we snorkeled from 8 am to 7pm and moved around the keys freely...

I rented a beater 16' Carolina Skiff with a 25 hp Evinrude from an old conch local for 30 a day. Not good for a lot of gear and rough water but it did the trick for what we were using it for. It had no ladder and we had to climb back in by stepping on the lower unit after taking off our gear. Next time I go I am pulling my own skiff with me.

Great idea--but how do you figure out which locals want to rent you their boats??
Cindy

Back
Top Bottom