Doubling up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivePartner1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've decided (i.e., my wife gave me permission) to finally consider doubling up my tanks for next year's ocean diving season. I'd like to begin by studying the market of my options for parts, but want to be sure I'm considering the right stuff.

WHAT I HAVE:

* two HP 100 tanks with opposing yoke valves (one with valve on left side, one on right).
* Zeagle Flat Head 6 with secondary and octopus (yoke, not DIN)
* one tank pressure gauge
* conventional hoses

WHAT I THINK I'LL NEED
* Manifold
* backplate and wings
* brackets for tanks.
* second tank pressure gauge?
* DIN adapters?
* long hose/ short hose combo with necklace
* second primary regulator?

What am I missing? Any recommendations?

You will need:

1 - one new tank (at least)
1 - manifold
1 - set bands
1 - new reg with din fitting
convert the other 1st stage if possible
2 - inflator hoses
1- back plate
1 - wing (dual inflators if diving wetsuit)

as far as brands i like dive rite but all the brands are about the same. Other question are you going to need another set of tanks for deeper stuff or for longer multiple dives. You also do not need a long hose (i am sure some will say you do) If you have any other questions or what I am saying does not make sence send me a pm I am typing this in a hurry.

DivePartner1:
Thanks, Ate. Why would I need the third tank?

You don't. I think his misread it. it takes two identical tanks (models) to make doubles.

As for the regs, while not essential, converting to full DIN is a good idea. (Sea elite has a 200 bar DIN manifold with yoke plugs for use with yoke regs)

For bands, its hard to beat the highland millworks bands.

BP/Wing - not essential if your BC handles doubles but a nice upgrade. a soft pak such as the transpak or o-pack + wing would work as well.

Hoses - My preference is this:
left post - 7' reg hose + BC inflator
right post - 22" reg hose, 24" SPG and Dry suit inflator

Since I never have really learned the right vs left thing, and for you, new to doubles this too may confuse you. The left post is the left outlet when facing your tanks or the outlet near your right arm when wearing the tanks.

What is your level of training? I would look into some training or at least diving with someone who can show you the proper way to do valve drills. If you cant do the drills all you have is essentially 1 big tank without the added benefit of redundancy. I assume you are diving dry? If not I would use aluminum tanks to end up with a more ballenced rig. You dont want the double bladders in the wing, they are more of a hinderance than a benefit. All of the stuff you need to double up is very expensive so you should spend a considerable amount of time researching so you end up with what you really need and want.

Good points, UW.

I dive dry and plan to train with an experienced doubles diver and not to proceed to the ocean until I am fully comfortable with the new rig. I am not in a rush. This is my first step in a deliberate planning process.

One other point. There are yoke to DIN converters (adapters) where you remove the yoke and yoke nut and screw in a DIN fittings on to the threads. However, on some regs your can completely remove the threads and insert a DIN fittings. These threads are removed using a hex head wrench. I believe you can do this with Zeagle's.

You want to do the latter as this will get the reg in closer to the valve and remove a possible failure point. Then just keep the other assembly for when you travel and have to use yoke or sell it and buy a DIN to yoke adapter (which is easier). But in the mean time use can use it as yoke with a 200 bar manifold.

Also one SPG is all you need.

As for manifolds - I will second the Sea-Elite and Highland Mills bands. Just bought both for my doubles. You can not beat the price and free shipping cause they will set you back just over $250.

I'm confused, if you've got HP100s how did you get yoke valves? Are you diving AL100s at 3300 PSI? I'd always considered those 90s or super 80s. A good set of steel HP100s should have 300 bar DIN valves and you'll need 300 bar regs to reach the bottom of that valve. The inserts are only available for the 232 bar LP tank valves.

PST and Worthington HP steel tanks come with convertible valves.

There is an insert in the valve orifice which, when removed, converts the valve from a yoke style to a 200 bar DIN valve.

Additionally, the Sea-Elite 200 bar manifold also incorporates the yoke/DIN convertible valves.

the K

DivePartner1:
I've decided (i.e., my wife gave me permission) to finally consider doubling up my tanks for next year's ocean diving season. I'd like to begin by studying the market of my options for parts, but want to be sure I'm considering the right stuff.

WHAT I HAVE:

* two HP 100 tanks with opposing yoke valves (one with valve on left side, one on right).
* Zeagle Flat Head 6 with secondary and octopus (yoke, not DIN)
* one tank pressure gauge
* conventional hoses

WHAT I THINK I'LL NEED
* Manifold
You probably only need the isolator valve / crossbar section to complete your manifold, since you seem to be indicating that the valves you already have are ready for this use as a doubles set.
DivePartner1:
* backplate and wings
An appropriately sized doubles wing will be needed, and don't forget you will need a harness to go with the plate.
DivePartner1:
* brackets for tanks.
Bands and bolts will be needed
DivePartner1:
* second tank pressure gauge?
Nope, you only need one
DivePartner1:
* DIN adapters?
You can use adaptors, but converting your regulators to DIN is more common (but not a requirement)
DivePartner1:
* long hose/ short hose combo with necklace
Yes, probably a good idea, but not a requirement
DivePartner1:
* second primary regulator?
Yes, you will need another first stage regulator, but the octopus you have now will probably be fine as the second stage to go with your new first stage
DivePartner1:
What am I missing? Any recommendations?
You have indicated that you are planning a slow progression, don't forget that you need a mentor or mentors along the way and possibly some official training that is in line with your diving aspirations. This is a very expensive path to go down. You will probably find that you will want one complete set of gear for use with the doubles and another complete set for use with single cylinder recreational diving. About the only items that do double duty are things you wear like wet or dry suits, fins, gloves, masks ant that sort of thing. Lights can do double duty. But items like regulators, wings, and the things that make rigid attachments to these items like pressure guages are better dedicated to one use.

Take your time, and save your money... you will need lots of both!

Mark Vlahos

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom