rock boot alternatives ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I recently replaced my DUI rock boots with a pair of these ...

http://www.watermark1.com/products.php?productid=SRB

... and I really like 'em.

They're cheaper than rock boots, easier to get into and out of, somewhat warmer (slight vs not at all), and look like they'll last longer (I go through 3 or 4 pairs of rock boots a year).

I wear a size 9 rock boot. Got these in a size 11 and they fit perfectly ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've been talking to a lot of divers lately who have opted for hardsole booties over their drysuit socks rather than rock boots. Cheaper, smaller, less hassle, have at least some inherent insulation, and can sometimes allow the same fins to be worn with both wet and dry suits, rather than needing bigger fins for the rock boots.

Personally, I'm happy with the built-in boots on my USIA drysuit and am enjoying not having to deal with the issues at all. Kinda dreading my inevitable upgrade and having to deal with the issue, frankly...

Hey Bob you do quite a lot of shore entries - how have you found the soles on these boots? Grippy, thick enough? Less support than with Rockboots?

piikki:
Hey Bob you do quite a lot of shore entries - how have you found the soles on these boots? Grippy, thick enough? Less support than with Rockboots?
The soles are much thicker, and more supportive. They are wet boots, however, and the 3 mm neoprene does stretch a bit when you're walking over rocks. But I haven't found that to be an impediment ... just that it feels a bit different than rock boots when you put sideways pressure on your foot.

I walked over some rocks with them last night and was pretty pleased with how supportive they were.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Do your fins still fit OK?

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
Do your fins still fit OK?

---
Ken
Yes ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I like the idea of the rockboots but I am a hater of the strings for tightening it. I ditched the laces and switched to stitches on velcro, much easier to keep from getting tangled in.

Those look nice. I had wet suit booties with zippers for awhile and liked them fine, except the zipper kept unzipping which was annoying. Yours are lower on the ankle so maybe the zipper will stay zipped? I switched to converse all stars and have been happy ever since. They fit my fins much better than the rock boots, and the sole is nice and firm. They're not as warm as the wet suit booties though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom