Fish collection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

voidware

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I was home for fall break the other weekend, and my parents got me a fish for the dorm. Just a simple beta fighting fish (by the way any name suggestions taken :) ).

At the pet shop, I was pointing out all the fish they had that I had seen. I figure that it would be really cool to be able to collect some of the fish that I have seen, alive, to take home and put in an aquarium. Does anyone know how they collect the fish that they sell in the store? Is it snares or traps or hooks? I know enough are bred in captivity, but about how many?

brandon

Some of the species, especially the ones that are hard to breed in captivity are collected in the wild, in various exotic locations, and then shipped in special containers here to the states. Most fish that you see in the stores, however, are captive-bred in fish-farms and aquariums around the country. I know this to be the case for fresh water fish, but I would imagine it is much the same for saltwater. As far as catching them while diving, I'm not exactly sure how it's done, but I'd imagine it might involve a catch bag with a rigid frame, to ensure that the fish doesn't get tangled and excessively stressed. Those more experienced in the craft, feel free to share. Keep in mind, that most tropical fish, especially saltwater, end up too big for an average home aquarium when fully grown, even if they appear small enough as juveniles. Keeping a fish in an aquarium that's too small results in it being excessively stressed, often leading to an early death. Additionally, keep in mind that fish you buy in a pet store and those caught locally, here in US, often have different requirements as to their living environment (water temps, pH, salinity (for saltwater), etc.). Hope this helps.

-Roman.

Consider quitting diving if you get a saltwater aquarium. Or at least start out small. They can be very time-consuming maintenance wise.

Re saltwater tanks and reef fish, it is highly regulated here by the state's Department of Land and Natural Resources.

My sister's good friend has a side business in providing reef fish for stores that sell them to people with saltwater aquariums.

From my brief conversations with him, they are only allowed to get fish while freediving or snorkeling, and I believe they are only allowed some kind of net (not unlike the butterfly catching type, I believe). I'm sure there are also regulations on the amount, size and perhaps type of fish they are allowed each time.

So for the people that are getting the fish the legal way, it involves a certain amount of effort.

After many years of owning aquariums and some time spent working in pet shops, I can tell you that most of the fish you see in pet shops are imported. There are several species of freshwater fish being farmed but no saltwater fish that I'm aware of. A generous estimation would be 10% of the freshwater fish. With the exception of goldfish and Japanese koi.

Most of these fish are caught in other parts of the world. Alot of freshwater fish come from South America, the Amazon river to be precise. And most saltwater fish come from the far Pacific, some from Hawaii.

In both cases, the collection methods vary from chemical poisoning, mass netting, to kids on tropical islands netting them one at a time in tidal pools. None of which are gentle on the fish. That why there's such a high mortality rate. I saw a National Geographic program on this a while back and they stated that the guys catching these fish get as little as a few cents apiece for them and that as many a 90% die before ever reaching the marketplace. Many species of fish are endangered in their native areas because of over collecting for the aquarium trade.

There is more known about the nutritional and captive environmental needs of freshwater fish so you'll have more success keeping them healthy in an aquarium. Those same needs and requirements for saltwater fish, however, are less known. Feeding saltwater fish the proper complete nutrition for long life is still the hardest thing to do. With the proper equipment, you can get close to water and lighting conditions but feeding is another matter. Yes, some are easier to keep than others, but as a general rule more will die than will live in the long run.

Having said all that....If you plan to catch your own, check the local laws. It's is illegal to collect fish in some areas. I have a friend who collects his own fish off the jetties in Galveston. He uses a 12" net for the fast swimmers and a slurp gun for the other. A slurp gun is a sort of large vacuum device. Think of a large syring with a opening in the barrel. Pull the plunger and it sucks the fish in. Either method is very traumatic for the fish!

A fighting fish, eh? What about Bruno? :D

Thanks guys, I had no idea about the aquarium trade. The ironic part is I don't think my fish is doing so well right now. He never really moved much, but right now he keeps having seizures. I don't know man, I am getting attached to this guy.

brandon

voidware once bubbled...
Thanks guys, I had no idea about the aquarium trade. The ironic part is I don't think my fish is doing so well right now. He never really moved much, but right now he keeps having seizures. I don't know man, I am getting attached to this guy.

brandon

Brandon...have you been changing the water daily? Water changes need to be the same temperature within 2-3 degrees of the old water. Treat it to remove any chlorine/chloramines your water may have.

Not over-feeding? Too much food in the water can turn it sour in a matter of hours. This removes the oxygen in the water.

Betta aren't usually real active but the seizures don't sound good! Are you sure he's not just fluttering his fins as a display?

Soo...what did ya name him? :)

Thank you all for you help and care, but my fish is dead. Funeral services will be held in the bathroom. Empieza el llanto por el pez sin nombre. I don't know what I could have done wrong. I change the water daily, use beta water conditioner, and don't overfeed. I knew he wasn't acting right lately. I bet it was the cold that got him.

respectfully yours,
brandon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom