SPG exploding when tank turned on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

meekal

Contributor
Reaction score
We've all been told since day 1 you should ALWAYS turn your SPG away from you when you turn on (pressurize) your tank

why?

i guess it might go back to the day when Jacques first turned on his tank back in the day, but has ANYBODY -EVER- heard of this actually happening?

Have you read the Sticky for this forum?

That might be an interesting disucssion for Basic Scuba...?

thats a very interesting question

Yes on one occaision. Unbeknown to the chap in question, he had cracked his spg in transport. Boy did it go bang when the air was turned on.

When you have a console take a good look at the back.
In almost every case you'll find a small hole,...Take a peek:huh:
There you'll see the metal back of your SPG AND a small plastic plugg.
In the unlikely case of a blow out the plastic plugg will be shot out like a bullet:D
The case or the glass front will not EXPLODE:no
So when you open your valve look at the frontside not the rear.

DandyDon:
Have you read the Sticky for this forum?

That might be an interesting disucssion for Basic Scuba...?

dang... i sux.... sorry dandyDon.... no i didn't - can the moderator move it? my initial thinking was this was cause for an accident, and was looking for actual first hand accounts and such....that's why i stuck it in here....

thanks for keeping us on an evenKeel dandyDon.... you da man!

Diving Doc:
Yes on one occaision. Unbeknown to the chap in question, he had cracked his spg in transport. Boy did it go bang when the air was turned on.

did it actually explode with glass and metal schrapnal and the whole kit-N-kaboodle or just make a terrible noise like tank burst disc bursting?

300bar diver:
When you have a console take a good look at the back.
In almost every case you'll find a small hole,...Take a peek:huh:
There you'll see the metal back of your SPG AND a small plastic plugg.
In the unlikely case of a blow out the plastic plugg will be shot out like a bullet:D
The case or the glass front will not EXPLODE:no
So when you open your valve look at the frontside not the rear.

so cool..... kinda like the burst disc on a tank... i guess i really DO need to take the EQUIPMENT REPAIR course i keep forgetting to take!

I saw one SPG blow, well actually I heard it blow, and that was at depth. The SPG blew off the guys HP hose. Did the gauge break? Who knows, we never looked for the gauge. He made a normal ascent with his buddy and had enough air to make the normal ascent.

I don't like taking chance I hold it away and try to keep the front and back pointing away from everyone.

Back
Top Bottom