Boat bottom survey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

katekicks

Reaction score
So to get insurance on the new boat, they want us to have the bottom surveyed. Even though we sent them a copy of a haul out bottom inspection from July, they didn't like it because it wasn't in our name. They want a bottom inspection in the next 30 days. Hopefully we'll be hauling it out to fix some things and bottom paint it in January and we can have the surveyor take a look at it then. If Wildcard doesn't come back on schedule and the haul out gets delayed, does anyone know of someone who can do a dive inspection of the hull? Wildcard says he'll do it himself because he's not paying someone else to dive his boat, but I don't think the insurance company would take his word for it since (a) he's the owner of course he's going to say it's fine and (b) he's not a certified surveyor.

Any recommendations?

Many companies require a haul out inspection because there are too many things that can’t be properly inspected in water. The most obvious is being able to bounce a rubber mallet along the hull and listen for delam problems, and not being able to see ripples or bubbles in the hull well.

never mind, I thought you needed it for the loan. You need it for the insurance.

Check those guys in the back of the Hawaii Yachts and Boats...the ads.

USAA was who we used...they did not ask for one. JB says it was an "agreed" value.

USAA wouldn't give me a boat loan because they couldn't find our old boat in their blue book. I'm guessing they probably won't want to do insurance on it either. Thanks for the idea.

Never had a boat loan, but needed the survey to get insurance (and the marina will almost certainly want you insured to get a berth). May be just stories but I've heard that some yards will charge less to haul the boat and hold it in the slings while the surveyor does the hull. I wouldn't walk under it unless it was blocked though. Probably just stories...

Also, and this is pretty obvious, I'd get the last surveyor to do the bottom check. He may do it in the water.

Same surveyor did it out of the water several months ago and I have that one as well as the new inwater. He also said he would reinspect when we haul out again, no charge.

Back
Top Bottom