Rec Wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JCDdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What is the deal? Dive Rite's site/catalog says it can be use for doubles, yet many on ScubaBoard say it can not.

Rec Wings provide up to 51 pounds of lift. They can be used with both single and double cylinders. These wings can accommodate up to double steel E7-120 or E8-130/LP104 cylinders. Rec Wings are a good choice for divers who, while they may primarily use doubles, want to be able to configure their air cell for occasional use with single cylinders as well.

Is this info. correct?

The Rec wing will work for singles and doubles. What is meant by their statement is that by buying a wing that is made for both doubles and singles, you are not getting a wing specificly made to accomdate a double or a single.

To my understanding (and I'm not a bp/w user yet) is that its kinda like if you have a screwdriver. You can drive in a nail with it and you can put up sheetrock mud with it. But your better off with a hammer for the nail and a mud knife for the sheetrock.

Better to have the perfect tool for the job,

But if it was me, I would keep the recwing and possibly (in the future after you have tried the recwing) get a venture wing or simialar single designated wing if you dont find the recwing suitable for the singles.

Well, I just went out into the garage and put the RecWing against one of my al80's it doesn't look like it will be a bad single wing, although it appears that if they were doubled up that it wouldn't permit the wing to fully inflate. So maybe the Classic would be a more suitable choice for doubling up steel tanks. Cheers!

According to DiveRite, they're intended for divers who primarily dive doubles and occasionaly singles. Pesumably the bungied gusset is mainly to make the wing less flappy with singles, so there doesn't seem to be any reason that (without the bungie) they aren't fine for steel doubles. With the bungie and a single AL 80, why would they any less effective than, say, a Ranger?

The Rec Wing works beautifully with double Al 80s. i have used this wing on double 95's in a 3mm suit in freshwater; I had to let the gusset control cord all the way out. An Al 40 put it over the top though.

Jerry

I've had my Rec wing for 5 years from a TransPac II single Al 80 to my current aluminum BP/harness double E7-100's and have had no problems.

JCDdiver:
Well, I just went out into the garage and put the RecWing against one of my al80's it doesn't look like it will be a bad single wing, although it appears that if they were doubled up that it wouldn't permit the wing to fully inflate. So maybe the Classic would be a more suitable choice for doubling up steel tanks. Cheers!

Exactly my experience. This is especially true with 8" diameter tanks. The pinched/restricted Rec wing did not provide enough lift (with gusset control cord completely removed) to keep my mouth out of the water when using a set of x8-119's w/AL40 & AL80 deco bottles. For me, the Classic wing is a better choice.

I dive double steel 100's, carry an AL80 stage and an AL40 deco bottle EASILY with my DR Rec Wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom