Monterey Weekend Weather Watch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben_ca

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This is a running tutorial on how to read the swells and conditions for diving in Monterey

For a more comprehensive tutorial go to: Chuck's Monterey Sea Conditions at a Glance

Here's the short of it

PZZ555-575-262330-
/O.CON.KMTR.SC.Y.0130.000000T0000Z-061227T1400Z/
/O.CON.KMTR.GL.W.0020.061227T1400Z-061228T0200Z/
PIGEON POINT TO POINT PIEDRAS BLANCAS TO 20 NM-
PIGEON POINT TO POINT PIEDRAS BLANCAS 20 TO 60 NM OFFSHORE-
917 AM PST TUE DEC 26 2006

...SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT THROUGH LATE TONIGHT...
...GALE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY MORNING THROUGH
WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON...

.TODAY...SE WINDS 15 TO 30 KT...STRONGEST DURING THE AFTERNOON.
WIND WAVES 3 TO 5 FT. NW SWELL 13 TO 16 FT AT 14 SECONDS. RAIN
DEVELOPING IN THE AFTERNOON WITH A CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS.
.TONIGHT...SW WINDS 20 TO 30 KT...WITH OCCASIONAL GALE FORCE GUSTS
TO 35 KT. WIND WAVES 4 TO 6 FT. NW SWELL 16 TO 18 FT AT 13 SECONDS.
RAIN AND A CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS.
.WED...NW WINDS 25 TO 35 KT...WITH OCCASIONAL GUSTS TO 40 KT. COMBINED
SEAS 18 TO 22 FEET AT 13 SECONDS. SHOWERS LIKELY AND A CHANCE OF
THUNDERSTORMS.
.WED NIGHT...N WINDS 20 TO 30 KT. WIND WAVES 4 TO 6 FT. NW SWELL
13 TO 16 FT. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS.
.THU...NW WINDS 15 TO 25 KT. WIND WAVES 3 TO 5 FT. NW SWELL
13 TO 16 FT.
.FRI...NW WINDS 5 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT. NW SWELL
9 TO 11 FT.
.SAT...NW WINDS 5 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT. W SWELL
10 TO 12 FT.

fc_summary.png

fm_mon_xxx.png

These pictures should auto update.... let's see

Hey Ben,

I am still kinda novice at this whole thing. But does that mean that on Dec 29th - it would be a good day to go scuba diving?

Minh

"I am still kinda novice at this whole thing. But does that mean that on Dec 29th - it would be a good day to go scuba diving?"

What it means to me is that I am starting to pack the car and I have already lined up buddies for Friday.:D

reefugee:
Hey Ben,

I am still kinda novice at this whole thing. But does that mean that on Dec 29th - it would be a good day to go scuba diving?

Minh

Minh,
Yup you read it right... Some sites might still be a mess from debris.... (Chopped salad in the water) but the waves and swell should not be an issue not to dive. Go and have fun :)

Chopped salad in the water...lol!!! Think it will safe by Thursday? The wave picture shows it going down on Thursday, but whats the safe level there, the red line?

fc_summary.png

Just a word of warning on Friday. The wave forecast is on a sliding scale. You also need to look at what the color scale represents. Because Wednesday is going to be so "dookey" it will push up the scale of the other colors. So Friday gives us 6 to 9 foot significant swells. Pick your dive spots appropriately.

That being said.... I'm going diving on Friday!

Most people use that for a rule of thumb... Sometimes it's more the direction of the swell than the height. Read up on Chucks site for more details on how to read the reports. The other nice thing about diving in Monterey is that you can drive around and browse other sites for more favorable conditions.

KMD:
Just a word of warning on Friday. The wave forecast is on a sliding scale. You also need to look at what the color scale represents. Because Wednesday is going to be so "dookey" it will push up the scale of the other colors. So Friday gives us 6 to 9 foot significant swells. Pick your dive spots appropriately.

That being said.... I'm going diving on Friday!

Dude... are my tanks filled? I'm off and those wave models for this friday are well, astonishing.

Wow, impressive; lots of pretty colors and lines and Stuff.

I just go down and go in every Saturday and hope I'll survive :wink:. I'm 100% so far :D

Mark

I canceled my trip to NorCal due to the weather conditions (currently in SoCal) and I have 2 reservations for Lobos - 28th and 29th. PM if you're interested..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom