Drysuit exhaust valve poking the arm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt S.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This actually happened to my wife... the exhaust valve on her Bare D6 kind of pokes her in the arm, producing a bruise. (This was even apparent above water, so it isn't a squeeze issue.)

We weren't wearing thick insulation under our suits, so a different top would help... but I may need to pad the pokey plastic inside part of valve too. Has anyone ever tried this? I was thinking about a square of neoprene, like you see covering the inside of the chest-mount inflator valve. Obviously I don't want to impair the exhaust function though. Any ideas?

I don't think covering the valve with anything that could inhibit it's functioning is a good idea. Try a different top first.

R..

I get that from my inflater on my suit , i may start looking for a more low profile that the stock Bare inflater. I get a nice bruise everytime i dive.

You might try cutting a neoprene ring and glueing it so that it encircles the underside of the valve instead of covering it. It should cushion the poking without obstructing airflow to the dump.

There are many different styles/designs of valves, how about a pic of the offending critter?
You may be able to replace the backside of the valve with a less "pokey" design for just a couple bucks.
If I recall correctly, Bare uses Si Tech valves, don't they?
Suit makers "usually" brag about using Si Tech valves but there was no mention on their website.

It's definitely an SI-Tech valve. The offending part is just a plastic disc, probably less than 1/2" tall. I'm not sure why it's a problem, it's just something about the way the suit hangs on her.

I'll have to look at it while it's on at home. Maybe a pad the same shape as the valve would work; I think all the vents are actually on the sides of the disc, not the bottom.

Thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom